Senior Journalist (SEO Manager) Audience Engagement
The Audience Engagement team’s aim is to grow audience reach and engagement with BBC News, and is at the forefront of efforts to reach and engage new audiences across BBC News’ digital services.
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
We are seeking an SEO Manager to help implement editorial best practice and identify strategic opportunities to grow new audiences. The role is a mix of strategy and hands-on delivery, based in the heart of the BBC’s newsroom:
- Plan, communicate and then execute an effective SEO strategy for BBC News’ digital platforms that will significantly increase organic search traffic
- Lead and direct SEO efforts, and give daily advice to journalists
- Take ownership of and build out the toolset for SEO analytics, and identify & monitor KPIs.
- Evangelise, convince, and work closely with product managers and developers to ensure that they understand the importance of search, and how to correctly implement opportunities for traffic acquisition and measurement
- Keep abreast of industry trends and SEO best practices, and Google algorithm updates. Understand the implications and take action to quickly seize opportunity and reduce risk.
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven experience leading SEO strategy and projects to successfully build audiences for a large news product
- Experience working with editors and journalists to help them get the most out of SEO without compromising the quality of their work
- Expert-level understanding of technical SEO issues and solutions
- Expert user of Google Webmaster Tools for improving the performance of News sites in search results
- Good knowledge of the Web Analytics marketplace, and expert user of at least one market leading tool for tracking user activity on websites and apps
Base: London - NBH
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK.
Were happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC whether thats to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here