BBC News Content is at the heart of BBC News and provides outstanding news reports, pictures and audio material to all BBC News programmes and services both in the UK and internationally. As the world’s largest public broadcaster our content is of the highest quality both editorially and technically, which in turn provides the best value for money for BBC audiences around the world. BBC News Content ensures that in the face of increasing competition, we are the world leader in news content and at the forefront of both editorial coverage and technological innovation in broadcasting and digital services.
This job will be based in the Beirut bureau and will be on local terms and conditions of employment. This role will lead News Content video journalism in Lebanon and the region.
As a Video Journalist you will routinely self-shoot and edit digital content using a range of equipment to research, write, shoot, assemble and edit material to the highest standards. You will suggest new angles and formats on existing stories to bring them to life for the audience and will use your knowledge of digital platforms to create and promote content that reaches maximum audience engagement. You will also be expected to work as part of a wider team, working with correspondents on digital content and ensuring that digital content is reversioned for radio to reach a wider audience.
The Ideal Candidate
- A strong understanding and working knowledge of digital video formats and social media platforms together with a knowledge of and aptitude for broadcast and information technology.
- The ability to think creatively and develop new treatments for digital and radio platforms.
- Modern standard Arabic desirable to a broadcast standard and a high level of broadcast quality English.
- Extensive relevant reporting experience, including hostile environments, is essential and a willingness to be deployed at short notice in country, across the region or to join news deployments overseas.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Middle Eastern affairs as well as international affairs.
- Awareness of and enthusiasm for the growing importance of social media and the benefits and challenges it brings.
- To be able to work effectively and calmly in an environment where news is constantly changing ability to consistently adapt and react.
- A record of demonstrating good interpersonal skills and an understanding of the importance of working as part of a team, as well as working independently.
- Excellent independent and balanced editorial judgement.
- Good knowledge and understanding of BBC output across platforms and different formats and a clear understanding of the BBC’s digital strategy.
Contract: 12 month fixed term contract/attachment. Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Lebanon.
About the Company
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here