This role is based in Cardiff supporting the BBC Nations division to help inspire, innovate & shape creative strategy across the breadth of BBC Nations services and content.
BBC Nations is one of the largest divisions within the BBC - delivering local, regional and nations services to millions of people each day. We commission a range of content in a wide variety of genres on television and radio: from local radio to the BBC Scotland channel, from regional news to Radio Foyle, from Angels of the North to The Pact and Guilt. Our digital role is also vital for millions of daily users and we produce content across BBC News, BBC Sport, BBC iPlayer, BBC Bitesize and BBC Sounds. We invest almost £450m on content each year and employ almost 5500 staff.
The BBC has just published its plans to get closer to audiences, transforming the BBC into a genuinely UK-wide organisation – to ensure we are relevant to, and valued by, audiences the length and breadth of the UK.
We’re currently looking for a Senior Marketing and Audience Planner to help inspire, innovate & shape creative strategy across the breadth of BBC Nations services and content.
Planners put insight at the heart of the BBC’s creative output; across programmes, products, services and brands. You’ll work directly with the creative leaders across our content and digital products, to crystallise strategic challenges, spot opportunities for the future and help shape our content and product accordingly. It’s an exciting and varied role where you'll bring creative flair and strategic rigour to the BBC's decisions.
Audience Planners work closely with our research, data science and analytics teams to understand our audiences and turn our insights into clear and compelling creative recommendations for content makers, commissioners, editors, curators, UX designers and product engineers. You’ll then use your persuasion skills and an ability to bring groups together to ensure your thinking results in positive changes to what we do.
The projects you’ll work on will influence product development and content commissioning and creation across the breadth of the BBC’s output.
The Ideal Candidate
We’re looking for ambitious, adaptable and innovative thinkers who are keen to use their skills in a different environment.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A well-rounded individual who has craft skills, but who is also able to make personal impact and build inclusive, trusting environments for creative project teams.
- A curious and pragmatic problem solver with a natural flair for strategic thinking; bringing a fresh perspective to everything project you take on.
- Comfortable working with senior creative people and business decision-makers and be able to turn complex qualitative and quantitative research into compelling stories and inspirational stimulus for creatives.
- A collaborative style – someone who can bring different teams and skills together with the energy and resilience to make things happen.
- Someone who is passionate, motivated and inspired by the content, services and underlying public purposes of the BBC.
For this role / Ar gyfer y swydd yma:
Welsh language skills are not necessary / Nid yw sgiliau yn yr iaith Gymraeg yn angenrheidiol
Applications may be submitted in Welsh, and an application submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application submitted in English. / Mae modd cyflwyno ceisiadau yn Gymraeg, ac ni fydd cais a gyflwynir yn Gymraeg yn cael ei drin yn llai ffafriol na chais a gyflwynir yn Saesneg.
Base: Cardiff city centre, with hybrid home/office working - expect an average of 2 days per week in the office. Some UK travel should be expected.
Impact: This is a pan Nations role, with contacts and working relationships UK-wide.
Contract: Fixed term until July 2022
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here