Senior Mobile Software Engineer
The BBC Mobile Platform is an integral part of the BBC's Digital strategy, delivering consistent user experiences and core functionality across the BBC's mobile estate.
Our team is responsible for enabling BBC app teams to create compelling personalised services and content that the public love. We deliver core audience facing functionality such as media playback into core BBC entertainment apps such as BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport and BBC News. We also support our educational apps, such as BBC Bitesize.
With emphasis on world class engineering practices, we encourage, cultivate and strive for improvement, not only at a team level, but also at a personal level. We continue to improve our understanding of TDD on mobile whilst embracing platform idioms.
Our department is based in Dock House at MediaCityUK, the same building that broadcasts 6 Music. The team is modestly sized and is composed of software engineers, testers, product owners and project managers. You will have an opportunity to work with everyone to help deliver well-engineered components.
We are looking for an engineer who is excited by, and keen to pursue a career working with mobile software components.
You will contribute to the development of core components used by all applications in the BBC covering authentication, personalisation, media playback and content protection.
You care about quality code, love collaboration, experimentation and are a confident communicator.
You will be interested in mastering your test driven development approach to produce systems isolated from framework dependencies.
To be successful in this role you will be committed to self motivated development.
Are you the right candidate?
- A good understanding of OOP, analysis and decoupled design.
- Demonstrable Test Driven Development
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
- Experience of master only Git
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Real world iOS or Android experience
- Real world experience in a second mobile development platform
- Deep understanding of iOS or Android app architecture and design idioms
- Web services integration (REST, JSON) in a mobile environment
- Experience with Agile/Scrum project management methodologies
- Linux administration, shell scripting
- Amazon Web Services
- Jenkins Pipelines
Contract type: Full Time
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here