Senior Product Manager - BBC Core Services
We are looking to hire a number of Senior Product Managers across multiple locations (London, Glasgow and Salford) for the Core Services team within Design and Engineering. The Core Services team is tasked with delivering the new core web and product services framework on which six of the BBC’s eight audience-facing digital services – News, Sport, Weather, Children’s, Education and Homepage – are based. This means enabling, and working closely with, these big and much-loved services to create the engaging digital propositions of the future through resilient and sound foundations.
Core Services is a collaborative and dynamic team across multiple sites with the mission of building the framework and core services to enable next generation digital products and experiences. By working with us, you will help build out the wider BBC’s vision to create the world’s best digital services, using cutting edge technology, collaboration, and championing faster, simpler ways of ways of doing things.
We’re looking for a number of Senior Product Managers to lead a number of recently established areas of focus:
- Smart proxy and traffic management layer : Our highly available and resilient front door which manages load, provides caching for all services, handles failure and manages canary deployments.
- Presentation layer: Our highly performant core rendering framework (React) and the design system (GEL) for the whole of BBC online (i.e. a shared visual layer/experience).
- Business Layer : Obtains and aggregates data from a wide range of platform services and APIs across BBC online.
- Developer Productivity: To enable innovation and speed at scale, our Dev Prod team provides the build, test, deploy services through CI/CI, SRE capability, tooling and champion reliability, performance and an excellent developer experience for all digital products.
You’ll be leading a product team in delivering a world class product experience.
- To develop and deliver on the product vision for a set of products and services in line with the department’s strategy and objectives.
- To own the full product lifecycle including mature products, recent launches and emerging ideas from inception through to launch.
- To lead the impact analysis on and prioritisation of effort on a set of products and services.
- To be a voice for our users – ensuring that their needs and abilities are at the heart of our propositions.
- To work closely with stakeholders, to understand their requirements and priorities, in order to develop a shared product and content strategy and drive the product direction against it.
- To build relationships with other areas of the BBC key to the successful delivery of our products and services.
- To actively contribute to the development of product management best practice and the department’s collaborative culture
Are you the right candidate?
You enjoy working collaboratively, dare to think big and have the pragmatism to achieve it. You also have experience in:
- Product management in an agile team on an established product and new product development
- Audience research, user testing, analytics and experiments
- Ideas generation and creativity
- A technical background or experience in working in highly technical environments and teams
- Team and stakeholder management
- Good presentation, communication and interpersonal skills and proven ability to communicate complex processes at all levels
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Salford or Glasgow
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here