Now is a great time to join the BBC News & Weather digital teams. We are focusing on how BBC News and Weather add value within a wider BBC product portfolio, as well as driving improvements across our technical estate, modernizing almost every system and process we use to become more flexible and powerful and to help us better service audiences.
Reporting in to the Executive Product Manager on the News App team, within the News and Weather department, this is a Senior Product role helping to define the proposition across the News apps portfolio, and leading an agile development team directly delivering software.
News on mobile is an extremely important part of the BBC’s mission in delivering public service value, in a market which is changing at an exponential rate. As a product lead in the this team, this role will need understand and develop the potential of a native app to drive habitual usage, and contribute to the wider narrative about how native app experiences can help BBC News better achieve its aims for more audiences
The Ideal Candidate
- This role is based in BBC News & Weather and you’ll work as a Senior Product Manager embedded in an established cross-functional app development team. You’ll also work with other teams upstream of the app ecosystem, who contribute to how users experience the BBC News app.
- Our current focus in the News app team is redesigning the BBC News app to provide more value to more of our users. In this role you’ll be part of the product team defining how that proposition evolves, to create a dynamic app experience that is useful everyday and delivers on our public service values. You must be comfortable delivering iteratively, taking wider business context into account throughout the process, and driving innovation.
- The BBC News app forms a crucial part of the BBC’s public service offering, and as such work is sometimes driven by external factors, such as evolving news events, so you should be comfortable adapting to changing requirements, short delivery timeframes and tight deadlines.
- The BBC News app is the biggest direct news app in the UK. Applicants should have experience working with systems that scale to millions of users, with high expectations around reliability, quality and accessibility, and where there’s a lot of complexity and inter-dependence.
- Show us you understand how to focus on outcomes over outputs, how to define and articulate product strategy, roadmaps and priorities using data-driven insights and your own judgement. Even better, show us how you do this as an individual and as a team contributor.
- We will favour candidates who can point to examples of contributing to and nurturing healthy product cultures in the workplace, building team culture that supports and enables feedback loops, and learning about audiences and the impact of our work.
- This is a high-profile area and it will be a priority for senior stakeholders, so candidates need experience working with big, visible brands/organisations and senior business stakeholders. They need to be able to show evidence of being able to build support for their ideas, get people aligned behind supporting and participating, and demonstrating that support publicly.
- We’re always looking for creative, novel thinking. Show us how you identify real problems, build deep understanding and implement creative and original approaches that span technical and editorial domains, taking appropriate levels of risk.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here