Senior Product Manager - Voice + AI
Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the internet is changing, and fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our consumers and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the internet across the country. Our mission within the newly formed BBC Voice and Conversational Interfaces team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
BBC Voice + AI is building a new and swiftly growing multi-disciplinary team in the BBC’s Scottish headquarters in Glasgow. The aim is to build a national centre of excellence with specific expertise in this rapidly growing and evolving area of engineering. You will be based in Pacific Quay, the BBC's flagship site situated just outside Glasgow on the River Clyde, opposite the SECC and next to the Science Centre.
The Senior Product Manager ensures that the BBC creates the most compelling products possible within a given field, sector or technology. In this case, you’ll be working with our product and editorial teams from across the business to build the BBC’s content offering and interaction model to all 3rd party voice assistants, in addition to working with our platform colleagues to develop the technology platforms that will power the BBC as we evolve in to an AI first digital world.
Creating insight to drive BBC priorities and performance is critical – an SPM looks to user research, analytics data, market research, competitors and their own product instincts to help the BBC make the best digital products possible.
The SPM has three key responsibilities: assessing product opportunities derived from an understanding of business strategy, defining the product to be built to deliver the maximum return on investment, and communicating to stakeholders.
The post holder works with key editorial, commercial and technical stakeholders to design and deliver the required product, measure its success, lead the prioritisation process of backlog items and the creation and maintenance of the roadmap for their respective product.
He/she works with the technical team to create a product that delights and entertains our audience, is useful, usable and feasible.
- The Senior Product Manager will work at the heart of a multi discipline team on the shaping and delivery of a range of audience-facing products and product capabilities and services.
- To develop and deliver on the product vision for a set of products and services in line with the department’s strategy and objectives.
- To own the full product lifecycle of a set of products and services – including mature products, recent launches and emerging ideas.
- To lead the impact analysis on and prioritisation of effort on a set of products and services.
- To be a voice for our users – ensuring that their needs and abilities are at the heart of our propositions.
- To work closely with stakeholders to develop a shared product and content strategy and drive the product direction against it.
- To develop relationships with third parties to enable the delivery of full products or elements of our products and services.
- To build relationships with other areas of the BBC key to the successful delivery of our products and services
- To actively contribute to the development of product management best practice and the department’s collaborative culture.
Are you the right candidate?
- Has demonstrable experience of product management of digital products – including product lifecycle management, roadmap definition, product shaping and prioritisation.
- Has worked in software development and has, ideally, an understanding of app development and app product lifecycles.
- Understanding of business analysis techniques and practices.
- Is a team player comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Can use data and a build - measure - learn approach to drive product development and decision-making.
- Is comfortable working with and communicating to senior stakeholders.
- Has experience of building and managing relationships with third parties.
Grade 9 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.