Senior Product Manager
The Future Experience Technology team which sits within the BBC’s Research & Development department have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Product Manager.
Working alongside the Executive product manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for producing and owning product visions and delivery within R&D, including the innovation platform BBC Taster, delivering world-class, award winning technology and experiences for our audiences.
This role will work across a variety of projects, which will include new technologies such as AR, VR, Object Based Broadcasting and AI. We require an experienced Product Manager with experience of working in an innovation environment. The ideal candidate must have fantastic links into industry.
- Work with the Executive Product Manager to set out strategy and research objectives, using these to influence wider strategies
- Confident decision making to ensure experiences can get in front of audiences as quickly and as smoothly as possible
- Effectively articulate the vision and strategy to stakeholders, marketing, communications and business development teams
- Regularly communicate insight, knowledge and recommendations to the rest of the BBC and the wider industry
- Own and run all roadmaps and content pipelines
- Work with multiple stakeholders to release cutting edge, award winning experiences
- Ensure we are effectively measuring and analysing our work
- Form and foster close relationships with internal and external partners
- Work in a truly mixed discipline team and be able to add value in technical, editorial, UX and marketing discussions
- Input into FXT and wider R&D projects and strategies
- Track and communicate project status and KPI’s to project stakeholders as required, and ensure management information and project documentation is available and up to date
- Oversee the project life-cycle ensuring all approval gates before a project commences and quality reviews are completed during a build/delivery.
- Conduct requirement gathering sessions with stakeholders and manage change in relation to specified requirements, including assessment of impact, communication, and supporting planning and prioritisation as appropriate
- Develop relationships with pan-BBC and external stakeholders, delivery partners and suppliers as well as with peer to peer and more senior internal stakeholders
- Identify continuous improvement of the product, prioritising improvements and enhancements
- Propose, agree and work within product budget. Develop and maintain business case’s (when required) in support of product(s)
- Own contracts with vendors, negotiate and influence to hold them accountable to the terms of the agreement
- Ensure the appropriate selection of technology to fulfil the outlined strategy
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent understanding and ability to apply industry knowledge, market awareness and BBC audience targets to product strategy and planning. Demonstrable experience of making product decisions based on research, usage data, or predictions of either
- Understands and prioritises the needs of the product’s users either audience members or production teams
- Excellent product development skills and product life-cycle management including an understanding of agile methodology
- Ability to plan and forecast product budget and deliver within that budget
- Good understanding of the relevant technologies and practices (e.g. client and server-side technologies, new media technologies and platforms, project management (especially Scrum) and software engineering processes and practices Experience managing commercial and contractual relationships with third party suppliers and partners.
- Exposure to project management and innovation methodologies
- Experience of end to end product delivery.
- Significant experience working within new media, software development, broadcast, or related media sectors, delivering digital media roadmaps.
- Working knowledge of BBC output; editorial, compliance and regulatory issues for the BBC.
Grade 9 (Proposed Band D)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.