Senior Project Manager - Major Projects Infrastructure
MPI (Major Projects Infrastructure) are the BBC Design + Engineering Team who deliver the broadcast technology supporting the BBC’s biggest projects. These have included MediaCity in Salford, New Broadcasting House in London, transformation of the BBC’s connectivity infrastructure and currently we’re working on the new headquarters for BBC Wales in Cardiff, Broadcasting House refresh in Belfast as well as London Broadcasting House Radio refresh. MPI manages the entire process, from the initial gathering of requirements, development of technical design, procurement of technology, management of systems integrators and contractors, installation, testing and final delivery to the end users. Through all of this, we ensure stakeholders are fully engaged and informed, the systems we’re delivering align to the wider BBC technology strategy, costs are kept down, benefits are maximised and the BBC’s critical services kept on air.
The Senior Project Manager will play a central role in supporting key projects and services run by MPI, focusing on bringing strong project management in a broadcast engineering environment to the delivery team, ideally gained in a broadcast environment.
There is currently one role on offer. Initial deployment will be to either the Belfast refresh programme or the London Radio refresh programme but on the completion of these projects, you would be expected to work on future MPI projects elsewhere as appropriate. The initial assignment will be to work on one of the projects to be determined by the BBC and agreed with the successful candidate. Please indicate on your application which of the initial assignments you are interested in (Belfast, Radio or Both).
It is key that the Senior Project Manager will be able to integrate into a team of project managers and engineers drawn from different BBC departments and to coordinate engagement with a wide range of stakeholders. To be able to do this, the successful candidate will need to demonstrate considerable strengths in the interpersonal skills required to build constructive working relationships with colleagues and suppliers and demonstrate great stakeholder management”.
London Radio refresh requires a technically proficient Project Manager with experience of working and delivering change within a live broadcast environment or a 24/7 no downtime scenario, who will form part of the D+E delivery team.
Belfast refresh requires an experienced technical project manager with experience of live migrations of broadcast equipment or other non-down time environments , and working with cutting edge technology.
The role will be based in London for the Radio refresh Project and either London, Salford, or Belfast for the Belfast Project. Usual working hours will be office hours Monday to Friday but occasional flexibility will be required to support operational requirements. For the Belfast project it is expected that a lot of travel and overnight trips will be required.
The role commands responsibility for working on larger, more complex projects, or leading on multiple projects, workstreams, or iterative improvements concurrently.
Manages one or more projects, or leads a workstream within a programme, or works on iterative improvements as part of a product lifecycle. Responsible for the delivery of its outcome, using an appropriate approach (e.g. iterative and incremental, sequential) suitable to the characteristics of the change, for which typical indicators at this level are:
- A repeatable project framework, delivering a known outcome or target;
- A duration of approx. 18+ months, or autonomous delivery of a series of outcomes within a product environment;
- Multiple stakeholders, and financial or allocated staff responsibility equivalent to a budget of up to c£10m, and a staffing level of 8+ (including third parties).
- Manage one of major workstrands under the project ensure projects delivered on time, in scope and to budget
- Stakeholder management and reporting directly to BBC Technology Lead of the project with day to day embedded reporting to the Project Programme
- Work alongside and support Technology Lead and members of the Design Authority team to ensure projects are aligned with strategic roadmaps
Are you the right candidate?
Essential Knowledge and Experience Specific to this Role
- Extensive experience of delivering projects in a live 24/7 technology environment
- Experience of managing the resolution of complex technical issues with large technical systems.
- Experience of introducing new technology within in a live environment ideally within the broadcast sector.
- Experience of rapidly understanding new information in order to solve project issues.
- Strong knowledge of migration of services in a live 24/7 technical environment
- Ability to work under pressure.
- The ability to work as a team player and supporting BBC Values.
- Has strong stakeholder management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel and spend overnights away from base
Desirable Knowledge and Experience Specific to this Role
- Managed a minimum of 4 projects with budgets of £10k-£2m or significant business area impact.
- Excels at delivery in a fast-changing, political and complicated environment, and understands organisational transformation challenges and how to operate effectively in this context.
- Knowledge of the media sector and broad understanding of the traditional and new technologies in a broadcast and or digital media environment.
NB: Please note that we will be holding interviews for this role on Thursday 24th January 2019 (with Friday 25th available as a second choice)
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.