Senior Project Manager
BBC Technology has an exceptional opportunity for a high performing and experienced Senior Project Manager to lead project delivery of Enterprise IT infrastructure products and projects in areas including:
- Hosting Infrastructure (data centres, storage, networking, virtualisation)
- End user compute (desktop, email, office apps, collaboration, pan-BBC business applications)
- Unified Communications (Instant Messaging, Video Conferencing, Telepresence, Telephony)
- Identity Management and Business Services (authentication, Joiners/Movers/Leavers, printing, assistive technology)
The role will be based in London, supporting project delivery across all the BBC’s sites and locations in the UK.
Reporting to an Enterprise IT Portfolio Manager, you will be accountable for full lifecycle project delivery working with product owners, third party suppliers and senior BBC stakeholders:
- Planning, delivery and financial management of technology projects and workstreams
- Management of a range of key stakeholders
- Working with nominated business change representatives to ensure that business benefits can be realised through the delivery of technical capability.
- Line and Matrix management of project resources
- Ensuring that appropriate project management standards/processes are followed
- Supporting the recruitment and selection of project resources – both permanent and contract - as business requirements and funding dictate
- Meeting project performance targets
- Supplier relationship management and partnership working where projects are delivered jointly or project delivery is outsourced.
You will lead efficient, enthusiastic and high performing project delivery teams operating effectively in a continuously changing environment, actively proposing and driving new ways of working to meet business needs and improve individual, team and testing and quality performance. It’s important that you are flexible and experienced in hands-on product and project testing delivery yourself.
Are you the right candidate?
As a Senior Project Manager:
- You will have significant experience and a strong delivery record in project delivery in Enterprise IT Delivery in at least one of the areas above, ideally flexing to other project areas in line with our matrix management model to align resource to the highest priority work.
- You will have significant experience and a strong delivery record in technology project management. You will be experienced in delivering infrastructure projects in partnership with 3rd Party Suppliers. Experience of managing diverse project teams is essential to this role.
- You will be commercially astute, engaging with suppliers and stakeholders at all levels of the organisation and working with a range of delivery partners and other BBC teams, you will adapt quickly to new business areas, technologies and accurately assess testing and quality requirements and risks as well as being able to interpret and resolve commercial and contractual issues when they arise.
- You will be an experienced, highly organised and tenacious MSP & or/Prince 2 (or equivalent) accredited Programme Manager with a passion for quality and a strong record of delivery against plans in Enterprise IT technology (or equivalent) Portfolios, programmes and projects.
- The ability to navigate and simplify processes in large complex organisations is essential. Media/broadcasting business knowledge and experience is an advantage. You will have a broad knowledge of IT Industry trends.
- You will be brilliant at accurate and concise project communications including presentations, adapting style to for audiences from technical to non-technical and be able to manage develop, inspire and set high standards for your IT portfolio teams to get the very best results for BBC.
Permanent Full-Time contract
Location: Broadcast Centre, London
Grade 9 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.