Senior Project Manager
We are looking for an Agile Technical Project Manager who is experienced in managing complex, dependency-driven, projects in our Platform department. You will take ownership of sprint planning, prioritisation (in conjunction with the Product Owner), delivery tracking and reporting. As all the services produced by the team are consumed across all BBC major product areas such as News, Sports and Children’s, it’s an excellent opportunity to get exposure to the wider BBC online portfolio. Working closely with the Product Manager, Service Owner and Stakeholders.
Platform is the BBC department that powers content for the BBC. We develop & support key content management, publication & distribution systems used in all the BBC’s Online & broadcast products, from BBC Alba to the Weather app.
Our team in Salford focuses on the distribution side – dealing with the interesting challenges that come from developing database & API software that has to support 1000’s of requests per second and 100’s of data changes per minute with broadcast level resilience and an ever-changing feature set.
Our teams work on:
- Publishing TV & Radio programmes to iPlayer & iPlayer Radio
- Publishing TV & Radio clips to the BBC online products
- Tracklists & Now playing information for iPlayer Radio.
- iPlayer on Sky & Virgin
- Publishing News topics & articles to the BBC News & Sport products.
- API Management technologies used throughout the BBC.
- Syndicating News articles to social platforms & BBC commercial partners around the world.
We work as agile teams, striving for continuous integration in our cloud-based infrastructure.
The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behaviour. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit. We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity. We value and respect every individual's unique contribution to the BBC.
- To collaborate with product and service owners in delivering their aspirations for products and services’ functionality.
- Work with cross-functional teams to decompose objectives into specific goals and milestones that align with product objectives.
- Identify and be accountable for project and team dependencies.
- Work with product and project teams to prioritise goals into the overarching delivery roadmap.
- To act as a first point of escalation and resolution for all problems, obstacles and opportunities on a project. Issues could include inbound and outbound dependencies, infrastructure and operational capability.
- Communicate the impact of feature or schedule changes to teams that are potentially affected.
- Run or attend daily stand ups
- Run sprint planning meetings and facilitate estimation of items in the backlog
- Run sprint retrospective and closure meetings
- Track the day-to-day burn-down of activities
- Manage delivery within the agreed time, cost and quality constraints
- Creates sprint reports detailing sprint burn-down charts, velocity, estimates to completion, key issues, risks and dependencies.
Are you the right candidate?
Are you the right candidate?
- Project manager/scrum master and experience of day-to-day running of a development team.
- Experience managing mobile products
- Knowledge and experience in Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of project lifecycle, artefacts and techniques.
- Good/expert knowledge of structured project methodologies.
- A proven expert in identifying potential sources of risk and their impact on project success.
- Proven expert in planning, monitoring and reporting.
- A proven expert in detecting and resolving problems.
- Experience of ensuring the quality of software projects by working with software testing teams and managing software defect resolution.
- Experience managing medium to long-term development projects within a complex strategic portfolio utilising multi-platform technologies.
- Experience of working in a modern delivery team using continuous delivery, automated testing and cloud-based.
This could be done as a part or full-time role.
Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.