Senior Research Executive, BBC Global News
BBC Global News Ltd (“GNL”) is the commercial arm of the BBC’s global News network and is responsible for BBC World News and BBC.com/news. Broadcasting 24 hours a day and reaching over 360 million homes in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide, BBC World News provides news, business, sport and weather, plus the best of the BBC’s current affairs and documentary programming. BBC.com is one of the most respected brands on the internet and BBC.com/news complements BBC World News in its offering of high quality, up-to-the minute international news, business, sports, weather, and in-depth analysis, attracting 95 million unique visitors each month.
The Global Insight team are a multi-award winning division that bring the global BBC News audience to life within the business. Insight ensure that BBC Global News understands its audiences, how they behave, what they want, and work hard to ensure that the right insights are getting to the right parts of the business. Using cutting edge research methods, analysis tools and data visualisation techniques, their work is integral to improving our products, our editorial standards, our advertising strategy, and our reputation as the most trusted international news providers in the world.
Working for BBC Global News brings substantial opportunities. You will be a key part of a global operation that is a household name worldwide. In addition to a competitive salary, benefits, flexible working arrangements and pension scheme, there are also unique opportunities for training and upskilling; putting you in touch with the vast range of talent, skills, and training programmes that the BBC has to offer.
You will principally be responsible for managing and collaborating on a number of key research programmes that cover the following areas:
- Ad Effectiveness: Rolling research that measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns carried on BBC World News and BBC.com in key markets around the world.
- User Experience: Monitoring and reporting on user experience and satisfaction with BBC.com and our other online products, and ensuring that products and editorial teams have timely and accurate information to safeguard the continuous improvement of the BBC News user experience.
- Consumer Insight: Managing BBC News’ international consumer panel GlobalMinds, and coordinating rolling surveys to provide timely consumer data to commercial and editorial stakeholders.
- Social Media: Tracking consumer engagement with BBC News’ social media presence, and bringing to life the nature of how consumers interact with the BBC every month, to inform and improve our social media and digital marketing strategy.
- Audience Measurement: Measuring and reporting on the size and nature of the BBC News audience around the world, including key audience segments, using global datasets. Providing analytic support to assist in commercial opportunities.
- Editorial testing: Measuring viewer perception and appreciation of our TV programmes such as HARDTalk, Impact, Talking Business, and Sport Today, and ensuring the right insight is communicated back to editorial teams.
- Ad Hoc: Working on ad hoc data requests and research projects as required, to service the commercial needs of the business.
Are you the right candidate?
- Prior Experience: The ideal candidate will have experience at Research Executive or Senior Research Executive level for a media platform, ad agency, or research agency. You will be experienced in either carrying out or managing quantitative research fieldwork. You will have excellent data skills; able to manage and process datasets, analyse findings and discover compelling findings in the research. You will have a keen eye for detail, and an uncompromising attitude to accuracy; willing to dive into raw data to spot errors, tweak calculations, and conform data so that it is fit for purpose.
- Skills: You will need to demonstrate proven experience in audience measurement approaches with the ability to use analysis software such as Telmar, EZTab or similar tools as well as digital analytics and social media measurement systems such as comScore, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics or Social Bakers. You will have excellent data handling skills; particularly using Excel. Understanding of panel methodologies and expertise in third party syndicated data (e.g. IPSOS, GWI) and research analysis tools such as SPSS , Research Analyzer or Q are desirable. Experience working in a commercial media environment (ideally with an international element) is an advantage.
- Finally you’ll have first rate analytical skills, be self-motivated, an enthusiastic and articulate communicator, deadline-driven and have excellent project management skills; able to support and progress multiple projects at a time.
Contract type: Permanent
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here