Senior Scala Engineer - BBC Sounds
We're looking for talented Software Engineers of all levels to join our Radio and Music Services (RMS) team in London, which builds the APIs the Sounds clients use to deliver powerful and engaging user experiences to our audiences. You can read about how we launched BBC Sounds here
- Akka HTTP, Akka Streams, Play
- SQL and NoSQL
- Jira, Confluence
You’re the right person for us if:
- You're passionate about developing a product that will impact millions of users
- You're enthusiastic about working collaboratively in teams to build features
- You believe in test driven development
- You want to build scalable, resilient solutions
- You're constantly looking for learning opportunities to deepen your expertise and broaden your knowledge
- You love radio and/or music
Are you the right candidate?
- Hands on experience of developing using Scala
- Knowledge of good engineering practices such as paired programming and continuous delivery
- Experience building highly performant, scalable applications
- A strong engineering culture
- Flexible working hours, and flexible working arrangements
- Commitment to training and development
- 10% engineering time to work on personal development and off-roadmap innovation
- The opportunity to contribute to the BBC's 97 year mission to inform, educate and entertain the British public
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here