Senior Service Design Manager
BBC Design & Engineering (D&E) provide industry-leading production and broadcast services to BBC News, World Service, Regional TV, Online and Radio News. Providing critical services to these world famous industry leaders, we are proud to be an integral part of the most renowned broadcasting and media organisation in the world.
Working within a dedicated Broadcast & Online Service Management team (BOSM), the Senior Service Design Manager is responsible for the design of new service models resulting from projects or where there is significant change to an existing production & broadcast, online and enterprise technology service provision.
The Senior Service Design Manager ensures service models meet the needs of the business, are appropriately funded and are prepared for transition into business as usual service operations.
Working with teams across the BBC’s offices including W1A, White City, Salford’s MediaCityUK and The Mailbox in Birmingham, you will be close to all the action and spend time with the most creative technical teams in broadcasting alongside some of the most astute architects, developers and project managers in the industry, with the opportunity to progress your career through the wider Design & Engineering Division.
- Designs technology support models, engaging stakeholders and subject matter experts as required, to create effective support for new products, systems or facilities
- Documents and agrees service requirements as part of the process for formulating service models
- Point of contact for specific project and development initiatives affecting the portfolio of services managed by Design & Engineering (D&E)
- Identifies and interfaces with key stakeholders from across D&E including BOSM, Technology Strategy, support functions, and business to ensure efficient design of service models
- Ensures project business cases have adequate provision for ongoing revenue liabilities (internal and external support costs)
- Ensures all project and development initiatives are well prepared for the transition to live operation
- Defines and agrees service documentation (e.g. Service Definition) to ensure that services are correctly specified
- Contributes to the continuous refinement of Service Design & Architecture processes
- Ensures that all Service Design & Architecture processes and documents are kept fit for purpose up-to-date, published and reviewed on an annual basis
- Manages the professional clearance process on behalf of support and BOSM stakeholders ensuring required approvals are granted for business cases seeking Technology Investment Committee (TIC) sign off.
The Ideal Candidate
- Service Delivery / Service Management experience in a complex / large scale internal and external environment
- Strong relationship management skills, influencing and negotiating outcomes with stakeholders, colleagues and users adopting a flexible approach where necessary
- Strong sense of ownership in pursuit of delivering high quality services whilst maintaining service targets
- Ability to build and cultivate relationships with peers throughout the D&E division and service provider community
- Good verbal and written communication capabilities for conveying information and ideas to multidisciplinary stakeholders
- Ability to prioritise and plan, balancing priorities and deadlines
- Applied use of ITIL Framework to deliver process improvement with V3 Foundation as a minimum
- Strong analytical skills and ability to make sense of complex problems quickly drawing information from a breadth sources to resolve potentially conflicting viewpoints to achieve an agreed outcome
- Ability to examine and re-engineer processes, procedures and practices
- Ability to work under pressure and demonstrate resilience to ensure the correct solution is selected with a full understanding of the costs, timescales and risk involved including impact on services, operational processes, resources and strategic direction
- High level of IT and technology competence with aptitude for learning new technologies and processes
- Commercially astute – experienced in understanding contractual obligations and working to deliver high quality on this basis
- Ability to think and act strategically regarding the development of the Service Design practice and its interfaces with other process areas and teams.
- ITIL v3 Foundation Level (Essential)
- ITIL Lifecycle - Service Design Lifecycle (desirable)
- ITIL Capability – Service Offerings & Agreements (desirable)
- ITIL Capability – Planning, Prioritisation and Optimisation (desirable)
- ITIL Continual Service Improvement Lifecycle (desirable)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.