How would you like to work with the world’s leading broadcaster?
BBC Design+ Engineering (D+E) provides industry-leading D+E services to BBC News, World Service, Radio, Content, Nations and English Regions. Providing critical services to these world famous industry leaders, we are proud to be an integral part of the most renowned broadcasting and media organisation in the world.
Working within a dedicated Service Management team, the Senior Service Manager is responsible for making sure that the Connectivity services meet the high standards required, and that the rapidly evolving needs of the BBC and our audiences can be accounted for. Whether it is providing services to enable BBC Sport to cover the Athletics World Championships, to ensuring that the audience voting for Strictly Come Dancing works seamlessly, you would be key to ensuring that these commitments to our audiences are met.
Working in the BBC’s flagship purpose-built campuses in Salford, you would be at the heart of the action, spending time in our world leading Sports news room, studios, production floors and galleries, with the most creative technical minds in broadcasting, with the opportunity to progress your career through the wider Design+ Engineering Division.
As a Senior Service Manager, you will:
- Be responsible for the services delivered by BBC D+E and our suppliers and partners to BBC stakeholders. These stakeholders are a mix of editorial, technical, managerial colleagues and service users at the ‘coal face’. Drawing on the support and expertise on the services from within the team and from teams in the wider D+E Division
- Facilitate an effective relationship between BBC service users and external service providers. Many of the BBCs Connectivity services are provided by 3rd parties through a contractual relationship.
- Work with a small dedicated service management team, including a Principal Service Assurance Manager and other Senior/ Service Managers in Salford and London. And other Service Management team members in the wider team.
- Collaborates with fellow Senior Service Managers to support the wider BBC customer community
- Act as a point of contact for BBC Divisions for connectivity service issues, queries and request for help. Serve as a conduit into other expertise and resource within the BBC Service Assurance team and wider D+E.
- Play an active part in major incident management, and post incident activities such as post incident review and reporting. Managing major service impacts is an important part of the job. Making sure they never happen again even more so.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of BBC customer Divisions business drivers, processes, user communities and organisational structure. You will have every opportunity to be immersed in their operation.
- Develop an in depth understanding of the catalogue of connectivity services consumed by BBC customer Divisions and how these interface with other types of technology services such as end user compute, product & broadcast..
- Run service reviews and other meetings with BBC D+E delivery teams, customer stakeholders and 3rd party suppliers. Spending quality time with all of these groups is a major element of the role.
- Work to a Principal Service Manager as part of a team.
- Jump on issues and resolve them quickly. Resolving issues is a key part of the role.
- Help BBC customer Divisions to articulate new requirements, and ensure that D+E step up to meet those requirements. The BBC is a constantly changing organisation and Connectivity services continue become more and more of a dependency for our audience facing services.
- Make things better! You are responsible for reviewing and improving the Connectivity services used by the BBC.
The role is Salford based with regular travel to client sites across the UK
The Ideal Candidate
- Have experience managing technical services in medium or large scale organisations.
- Enjoy forging strong productive relationships with stakeholders, colleagues and users in the pursuit of delivering high quality services whilst maintaining service targets
- Are service-oriented and apply yourself in a professional manner to deliver the best service experience possible
- Have a passion for technology and technology services and you are keen to learn about the production and Connectivity technologies that drive the BBC. You enjoy working with techies and engineers, proficient at translating their language into business language.
- Are calm, collected and methodical when faced with a major incident. The breadth of the technology landscape is significant at the BBC and sometimes, things go wrong. You are able to marshal resources, manage concerned stakeholders and make recovery decisions under pressure.
- Enjoy asking questions and getting to the bottom of things. You are not afraid to keep asking questions until you have a full understanding of the situation and orchestrating the right resources to resolve issues and problems.
- Enjoy the buzz of life in the fast lane and are conscious of the importance of deadlines in the broadcasting world, where the show must go out at the scheduled time no matter what!
- Are resilient and positive, able to set boundaries without appearing obstructive. You are able to collaborate with people who may have differing objectives or priorities, aligning people to work together to a common goal.
- Are an excellent communicator. From 1 to 1 conversation with colleagues, clients and stakeholders, to presenting complex ideas, data and hard facts to larger groups, you thrive on this and are not put off by the idea of standing up before an audience.
- Professional qualifications required: ITIL V3/4 Foundation
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here