Senior Software Engineer, BBC Global News
This is an exciting opportunity to join BBC Global News; a commercial company in the BBC Group and one of the world's leading news and media organisations. As a global business of c400 employees in 12 countries Global News is responsible for a portfolio of award-winning commercial websites and products including:
The Senior Software Engineer will be a key member of a vibrant agile development team looking to turn great ideas into engaging digital products while maintaining and improving existing codebases.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will develop software solutions that are used by millions of users. You‘ll work collaboratively within an autonomous cross-functional agile team.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer with a broad knowledge of JS, HTML, CSS and NodeJS as well as scalable and highly available microservices architecture.
The candidate must also be comfortable supporting older technologies and browsers such as IE11. The ideal candidate will have a real enthusiasm for writing clean, concise, testable code, along with knowledge of all things responsive.
Are you the right candidate?
- Excellent knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3
- Experience using CSS pre-processors - LESS, SASS
- Experience building and maintaining large scale React with Redux applications
- Experience building Progressive Web Apps, Service Workers and offline available websites
- Experience with isomorphic React applications
- Experience designing and integrating with external APIs
- AWS: EC2, S3, CloudFormation, Route 53, AWS Lambda Functions, SNS, SQS, DocumentDb
- Experience using JS build tools – Grunt, Gulp, Webpack
- Experience with JS module loaders (Require, AMD)
- Experience with NodeJS, Express, npm
Contract type: Permanent
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here