Senior Software Engineer - BBC Platform (Java and AWS)
BBC Audience Platform is one of the BBC’s biggest and most ambitious online projects. The ultimate aim is to personalise the online and mobile experience and engage more effectively with our audience. Our services include BBC account (sign in), recommendations, big data warehousing and analytics, insights, notifications, participation services such as comments and voting and data warehouse solutions. You will be part of a team transforming the BBC into a data-driven organisation supporting the delivery of the BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, Children, Weather, Radio and TV to millions of people. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and Cloud (AWS).
In BBC Audience Platform we use the latest tech, with teams that inspire innovation and autonomy and striving towards Continuous Delivery. Our products span the whole of the BBC and reach millions of users! Not only will you be working on great projects and with cutting edge technologies you will be surrounded by a team of like-minded Technology professionals from whom you can learn and grow. We regularly have Technical Brown bag sessions and frequent Hackathons. This is an environment where we love to share ideas, challenge the traditional with our goal of taking the BBC on the journey to be a Digital First organization.
This exciting role sits in the Audience Account team, building new features and looking after the mission critical Single Sign On platform for all the BBC public services. To succeed, we need to deliver elegant user experiences, as well as a service that’s performant and reliable at scales to tens of millions of users, in a secure manner. The Account Back End team is an agile team who are responsible for building and maintaining this system which is currently based on the ForgeRock platform. We are continually pushing the boundaries of what is possible on this platform, which is deployed within AWS and we develop and support a number of related systems.
As a key member of this dynamic Agile team you will be responsible for:
- Building and maintaining this system, which is based on the ForgeRock platform though some parts are currently being redeveloped in house.
- Continually pushing the boundaries of what is possible on this platform (which is deployed within AWS)
- Developing new features for the BBC Account systems.
- Bug fixing and improving the quality of the BBC Account systems.
- Helping to scale and deliver our Account platform for the future
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience of a data persistence technology, be it a relational DB model or other models like a JSON store.
- Experience of developing using a version control system, such as GIT
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Experience of a team centred methodology like Scrum or Kanban.
- A passion for new technologies and different programming languages.
- Experience of owning issues and taking them to a successful conclusion.
- Great communication skills – written and oral with experience of resolving cross-team issues.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, White City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here