Senior Software Engineer - Voice & Conversational Interfaces
Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the internet is changing, fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our consumers and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the internet across the country. Our mission within the newly formed BBC Voice and Conversational Interfaces team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
With a focus on software engineering, you will be expected to contribute to implementation across the entire Voice UI and Conversation User Interfaces portfolio as required. Working in a multi-disciplinary environment with Product Managers, Project Managers, Technical Architects and Test Engineers, you will use Agile, Lean and DevOps principles to ensure the development of new features run smoothly and that your work meets the technical and operational standards for all of the BBC.
Design & Engineering (D&E) is the BBC’s technology division that is providing the catalyst for this transformation, with the Voice and Conversational Assistants group responsible for leading change in our audiences’ interaction with the BBC.
- Ensure the team's software works in the operating environment.
- Participate in troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle.
- Participate in, the team's agile planning & delivery process.
- Participate in and help improve the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code & documentation reviewing and continuous delivery.
- Work with project, product & technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications & tasks.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications.
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality and coverage.
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary.
- Mentor and coach more junior staff. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues with the possibility of line management for higher grades.
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience writing and maintaining large scale robust production software.
- Experience with one or more mainstream development & deployment tool chains. (IDE, CI). (VS Code, GitHub, Jenkins are used in the BBC).
- Experience in database design and use in software applications.
- Experience in web architecture & key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design).
- Experience in cloud infrastructure (AWS, Lambda, EC2).
- Experience in test driven development.
- Experience with Voice UI SDKs (Amazon Alexa, Google Home, etc).
- Experience in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing & security considerations).
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes including Agile.
- Experience in translating product requirements into technical solutions.
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.