Senior Software Engineer - Voice + AI
Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with Internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the Internet is changing, fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our consumers and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the Internet across the country. Our mission within the newly formed BBC Voice + AI team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
Design & Engineering (D&E) is the BBC’s technology division that is providing the catalyst for this transformation, with the Voice + AI group responsible for leading change in our audiences’ interaction with the BBC.
We are happy to discuss flexible working.
- Work with project, product & technical leads to design software.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications.
- Ensure the team's software works in production and participate in troubleshooting and resolution of issues as they occur.
- Participate in and help improve the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code reviewing, agile process and continuous delivery.
- Mentor and coach more junior staff.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate.
Are you the right candidate?
- Writing and maintaining large scale robust production software.
- One or more mainstream programming language/frameworks.
- Cloud infrastructure.
- Automated testing techniques.
- Project working and professional software development processes including Agile.
- Experience supporting software in a production environment.
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.