Senior Software Engineer (Education)
In BBC Education you’ll help change the lives of millions of people by delivering world-class learning experiences via our Bitesize and Food products. We deliver amazing online products and apps that inform, educate, entertain and inspire.
Our vision is to unlock learning potential in everything the BBC does and make learning feel effortless, through connected services built around world-class BBC content and by joining our team you will be given the opportunity to make a real difference to the BBC's online mission.
Our agile teams are made up of software engineers, testers, user experience designers, design researchers, product owners, business analysts and project managers, all striving to create extraordinary experiences for our audiences.
Learning, developing and sparking curiosity is part our culture, so you will be joining a team who really care about you, the development of your technical skills, your career aspirations and your contribution to our great team culture.
How we work
In BBC Education we build web products using React, Node.js and AWS, following appropriate design patterns and paradigm. Builds run with fully automated build pipelines - using Jenkins - creating releasable binaries multiple times a day. We follow agile development methodologies and practice Test Driven Development, Behaviour Driven Development and paired programming.
We excel at collaboration and often we work closely with other teams in the BBC -and external companies - to push our capabilities further.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be expected to take a lead in the design and implementation of software applications, ensure on time delivery of robust, industry leading solutions.
You’ll have a strong background in software development and in depth knowledge of design principles and patterns - with a strong focus on web technologies.
You’ll have some experience of mentoring junior team members and be committed to helping with their development.
You’ll love learning new technologies and are able to evaluate them and apply these to a variety of projects.
You’ll have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. You’ll promote your skills, share your knowledge and contribute to the evolution of best practices throughout the department and the BBC.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Experience writing and maintaining large scale, robust production software in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles.
- Expertise in one or more mainstream development language/frameworks.
- Expertise with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI).
- Competence in database design and use of software applications.
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), Domain Naming System (DNS) and distributed design.
- Expertise in test driven development, broader testing and QA concerns.
- Expertise in developing for operational and non-functional concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, scale, availability and resilience, security considerations).
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile.
- Competence in translating product requirements into technical solutions
- Experience in using design patterns.
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse stakeholders effectively.
- Takes responsibility for delivering work to completion across the team.
- Technical Lead on at least one medium/large sized project (3 months+).
Contract type: Permanent
Please note that the application process will only ask you to upload a CV. Please therefore ensure that your CV highlights as far as possible the above skills and experience.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here