You'll be joining a small, focused team working on a reusable cross-platform routing and resiliency layer. You will design solutions based around AWS infrastructure and write high-quality, scalable code mainly in Elixir. You'll be passionate about functional programming, solid code design, investigating emerging web technologies and building highly scalable services for the future of BBC.
Your team will own the design and build of services that keep our products running well, including building and deployment tools, config management, monitoring and reporting. You'll provide capabilities as-a-service for other teams to use and be a centre of excellence for our use of Cloud technologies.
The right candidate will be someone with a strong interest in high-quality coding and DevOps who is quick and keen to learn and adapt and enjoys iterating their ideas in an agile fashion working as part of a team.
Our website often gets 50 million hits in a day. Millions use our mobile apps. We've seen higher than 1.8 million concurrent users on our site and try to support every device we can, from simpler mobile phones to connected TVs. Our broadcast output is watched and listened to by people across the country and the world.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Review and give feedback on others' code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test-driven techniques for ensuring code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Support system integration in its operating environment
- Write and review technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the team's software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
- Coach and Mentor junior engineers
Are you the right candidate?
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Demonstrable experience with Elixir or a functional programming language
- Experience in Agile practices
- Experience in Cloud architecture
- Experience in DevOps
- Experience in testing and design patterns
- Competence in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Takes responsibility for driving tasks to completion
- Understanding of designing & implementing for non-functional concerns
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Software Engineering or Computer Science Degree or equivalent
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Scotland, Glasgow, Cardiff, Salford, or Flexible
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here