Senior Software Engineer (Frontend)
Have you ever wondered what foundations power the BBC’s online Glastonbury coverage, or the BBC’s Olympics live streams, or indeed BBC iPlayer?
BBC Design + Engineering Editorial Services provide editorial staff with web-based tools to enable them to realise their visions, leading to the success and universal industry praise of those propositions which are so popular with our audiences in the UK and abroad. We are an innovative team using industry best practices and cutting-edge services to shape the future of the BBC’s audience-facing online services by creating tools that are loved and valued by thousands of BBC editors, producers and journalists.
Come and join BBC Design & Engineering Editorial Services to learn from the best and lead the rest.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience of working with code repositories (e.g. SVN or Git) and bug tracking tools (e.g. Jira or Trac).
- Demonstrable understanding of Design Patterns.
- Appreciation of a service-oriented architecture.
- A good understanding of W3C standards.
- Experience of commercial web development processes.
- Experience of working in an environment where products have to be delivered to specific timescales.
- An ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate client business requirements into technical solutions.
- Experience of supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by teams other than your own.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here