Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack Developer)
This is a chance for you to shape innovation at the heart of BBC news.
News Labs is a small team experimenting with new approaches to news and prototyping new tools – from exploring the potential of Virtual Realty to social media bots or tools helping journalists make cutting edge videos in multiple languages
We are looking for an imaginative, flexible and Full Stack Developer to lead News Labs’ work discovering the ways in which we can power new tools for our journalists and fresh digital formats for our audience.
Please visit our blog to see some of the projects we have been working on:
The main responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineer are as below -
- Lead the design and development of effective software that meets complex product and business needs
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Drive work to successful completion across the immediate team
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Ensure the teams software works in its operating environment
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this role would be
- An enthusiasm for News with a willingness to experiment and try new solutions to problems faced by editorial and technical teams.
- Flexibility to deal with changing projects and priorities in a short space of time.
- Strong knowledge of software architecture principles.
- Excellent development skills and experience building applications: Node.js ideally
- Proven experience of test driven development: unit and integration
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team
Location - London, New Broadcasting House, W1 & Broadcast Centre, W12
Grade - 8
12 month fixed-term contract/attachment
About the Company
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.