Senior Software Engineer (Media Analytics)
Senior Software Engineer up to £56,053
The continued success of the BBC online depends on our ability to distribute digital video and audio across the Internet to a wide range of devices and platforms.
We're looking for experienced analytics engineers to help us measure the effectiveness of our distribution pipeline, from end to end. The insights you'll generate will drive strategic and operational decisions that will improve audience experience and maintain cost effectiveness for products like iPlayer.
Join a tightly-focussed group of engineers working on the technology foundations of the BBC's Digital division. We are a motivated team with a supportive engineering culture, passionate about non-functionals.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Online Technology Group's Engineering team works across on-premises and public cloud platforms. We're clustered around specific domains or groups of products, such as media distribution infrastructure. You'll work closely alongside around six other engineers, and partner with a product manager to define direction and technical approach. Our method is agile/ lean, with an emphasis on the principles underlying continuous improvement and delivery.
SCOPE OF ROLE - KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Design, build and operate the data pipelines that collect and aggregate performance data generated by our media delivery pipeline
- Analyse real-time and historical data to surface insights about our pipeline's performance, including considerations of cost and audience experience
- Visualise insights and trends for executive, engineering and operational stakeholders
Are you the right candidate?
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Extensive practical experience of collecting, cleaning, enriching and querying large data sets using tools like Hive, Spark, Java and Python
- Deep familiarity with AWS infrastructure including Kinesis, Lambda, Elastic MapReduce, Cloud Watch and S3
- A proven ability to visualise complex data using tools like: Dygraphs, d3.js or Tableau
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude
Experience with any of the following is desirable:
- Media distribution technologies, such as detailed knowledge of HLS/ HDS/ MPEG-Dash, or working with CDNs
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.