We are looking for a mobile software engineer to join our Analytics Services team based in Cardiff (but working remote.) Our team works across the BBC's products and environments. We ensure accurate, up-to-date information so the BBC can better understand its audience.
You will be working on software that adds real value to millions of (BBC) users and working in a team, solving problems together with many other teams.
You would find yourself helping in a number of areas, including:
- mobile development on Android and iOS;
- working with colleagues of different disciplines to analyse, scope and plan new work;
- contributing to discussions on technical improvements;
- informing the team’s goals, objectives and product direction;
- diagnosing operational issues and suggesting improvements to avoid them in future;
- sharing your knowledge with less experienced team members;
- working collaboratively to deliver features and fix bugs.
This team is a multi-disciplinary handful of developers working with a number of technologies and platforms, so you will end up using or being exposed to:
- Mobile platforms (iOS - Swift, Android - Java)
- Node.js and NPM
- Amazon Web Services and its associated technologies
- Continuous integration/deployment with Cucumber and Jenkins
- Database design and use in software applications
The Ideal Candidate
As part of your application and interview we will expect to see
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Competence in mobile application development
- Competence in test driven development and broader testing & QA concerns
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Effective collaboration within a team - ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit
Some other things we offer
- We are a remote first team
- Flexible working hours
- 10% time - every other Friday is your personal time to learn or work on a side project
Contract type: Continuing
Location: Cardiff + Remote
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here