The BBC Mobile Platform, part of Media Services, is an integral part of the BBC's Digital strategy, delivering consistent user experiences and core functionality across the BBC's mobile estate.
As a Senior Software Engineer within Mobile Playback, you’ll be joining a team of engineers developing our Media Player components, the core playback engine of all video and audio content across the BBC online. The BBC is recognised throughout the world for the quality of the content that we produce and the programmes that we broadcast. We are looking for high calibre developers with a passion for technology to help us transform the experience for our audience when consuming media in the digital age.
The media components we build are right at the heart of the BBC’s best loved products including iPlayer, Sounds, News and Sport to name just a few. Whether you’re catching up on last night’s episode of EastEnders, listening to Radio 1 or jumping right into live sporting action, our media player provides a robust, reliable and consistent playback experience.
As a Senior Engineer you will contribute to the development of features, fix bugs and issues, review code from others in the team and make a key contribution to the entire development lifecycle, from conception, discovery through development and delivery. You will also take responsibility for the technical direction of features and provide support to more junior engineers.
We care about code quality and clean architecture. We work in Kotlin and Java for Android and Swift and Objective-C for iOS, so you will need experience working on at least one of these platforms. You'll be happy to discuss technical details with the rest of the engineering team, contributing to discussions and communicating your own ideas.
You will also have opportunities to grow and specialise. We want you to be passionate about the future of technology in broadcasting, and the impact you can have. You will need a desire to keep learning and growing, with support from cross-team groups, meet-ups, and chapters focused on topics such as Android and iOS development, accessibility, security, development practices, continuous delivery, and many other areas of interest.
We are looking for an experienced engineer who is excited by, and keen to pursue a career working with mobile software components. You will care about quality code, love collaboration, experimentation and are a confident communicator.
You will be interested in mastering your test driven development approach to produce systems isolated from framework dependencies.
The Ideal Candidate
- Commercial mobile development experience in Android and/or iOS.
- A good understanding of OOP, analysis and decoupled design.
- Demonstrable Test Driven Development
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Experience of managing code in source control systems such as Github
- A solid grounding of object orientated programming techniques and a good understanding of software design patterns.
- An ability to understand and translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Experience of using continuous integration tools like Jenkins.
- Experience of working with bug tracking tools (eg. Jira) and wikis (eg. Confluence)
- API development and management
- Experience developing media players for mobile platforms.
- Experience of media streaming protocols and standards (eg. HLS, MPEG DASH).
- Deep understanding of iOS or Android app architecture and design idioms
- Web services integration (REST, JSON) in a mobile environment
- Experience working in agile teams.
- Experience of pair programming.
- Experience developing for memory constrained devices.
- Linux administration, shell scripting
- Experience of Amazon Web Services
- Building and managing Jenkins Pipelines
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, Cardiff, Salford or Flexible
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviors in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.