Senior Software Engineer - .NET/Java
BBC Platform Audience is one of the BBC’s biggest and most ambitious online projects. The ultimate aim being to personalise the online content and engage more effectively with our audience. Our services include, BBC account (sign in), recommendations, big data warehousing and analytics, insights, notifications, participation services such as comments and voting and data warehouse solutions. You will be part of a team transforming the BBC into a data driven organisation supporting the delivery of the BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, Children, Weather, Radio and TV to millions of people. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and Cloud (AWS).
In BBC Audience Platform we use the latest tech, with teams that inspire innovation and autonomy, and striving towards Continuous Delivery. Our products span the whole of the BBC and reach millions of users! Not only will you be working on great projects and with cutting edge technologies you will be surrounded by a team of like-minded Technology professionals from whom you can learn and grow. We regularly have Technical Brown bag sessions and try to have frequent Hackathons. This is an environment where we love to share ideas, challenge the traditional with our goal of taking the BBC on the journey to be a Digital First organisation.
This exciting new role sits in the Participation team which consists of a small group of passionate techies from a variety of coding backgrounds; from front-end PHP, React to back-end .Net, Node and JAVA API engineering.
We all share a mutual belief in beautiful code that’s test-driven and easy for the next person to pick up. Initially you will be working with .Net but it will be your role to transition the legacy system to Java, giving you the opportunity to work across both. Continuous Integration means you could be deploying to production multiple times a day and even in your first week.
Being involved in the full life cycle of the products, you’ll need to be able to adapt quickly to new or changing requirements, produce rapid prototypes and communicate effectively with the team as a whole, not just other engineers. As we receive very high traffic, you will be responsible for ensuring the services remain at peak performance and scalable to meet the ever growing demands.
Working in Participation is an excellent opportunity to get involved in one of the BBC's biggest online projects, using the latest technologies, in a team that inspires innovation and autonomy.
The Ideal Candidate
- .Net Framework 4.0+
- C#, PowerShell, Visual Studio
- MS SQL
- RESTful API development
- Microsoft Azure Cloud Services
- Operational Support experience for Windows based systems
- Amazon Web Services
Security development experience
Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role. The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.