BBC iPlayer & Sounds Partner teams work closely with all UK TV platforms and all major global Smart TV and games console partners. The streaming of video and audio content and the number of supporting devices is growing rapidly. Our challenge, working with our partners, is to integrate BBC streaming services and continue to innovate as the TV industry rapidly evolves and expands.
Our teams ensure that everyone in the UK has access to our high-quality iPlayer, Sounds, and Red Button services on the widest choice of devices supported by any streaming content provider.
As a team, we are committed to Agile working processes and practices. This includes daily stand-up, weekly fun-filled retrospectives run by the team, and knowledge share sessions. Additionally, we have bi-weekly innovation days for personal development. This enables us to work on something that aids development and sometimes outside the realms of our role.
Based in MediaCityUK, Salford, the role in our Partner Experience team centres around solving our business problems in software by creating world-class tools, web portals, and automated processes. These form the backbone of our TV Certification process for iPlayer and Sounds.
You will be working to develop and own our internal and externally facing solutions using a wide range of technologies and cloud infrastructure.
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given the complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Promote alignment of the teams products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Define and document the team’s best practice and standards
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the team’s delivery and development processes
- Mentor more junior software engineering team members
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies, and help introduce them where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a person with a passion to always improve, who is willing to learn from and share your knowledge with other people. It's okay if you don't have all of the experience. Tell us why you're a suitable candidate in your questionnaire.
- Knowledge of Cloud Technologies – AWS
- Growth mindset, willing to learn and share knowledge
- Experience in Leading or Mentoring a team of engineers, it's okay if you don't
- Desirable: Vue, Nuxt, TDD
- Desirable: TV device software development experience
- Desirable: Experience mentoring software engineers
Contract type: Salford
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here