Senior Software Engineer - Search and Navigation
BBC Search & Navigation have a remit to help our audience discover the best content, that is most relevant and meaningful to them, by providing them a breath of BBC content from the whole of BBC Online.
We are currently looking to recruit a Senior Software Engineers in each of the teams below.
Navigation team - Senior Software Engineer.
The Navigation Team are looking at ways to improve the BBC Navigation experience for millions of users who access our services each week, through Online, App and iPlayer. Our aim is to create the best user experience for navigating around the BBC site, using data that we can feedback into our Search system, and other products across BBC Online, in order to provide a better platform for our audience and to provide our product management and editorial colleagues with the data they need to drive the creation of personalised experiences that audience members will want to come back to.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be working on software solutions that will be used by millions of users. You will be working collaboratively within a cross-functioning, agile team.
In this role you will:
- Design, develop and deploy high quality solutions that will be used by millions of users.
- Contribute to driving best engineering practices such as Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery, Test Driven Development, Behaviour Driven Development, cloud architectures and pair/mob programming.
- Assist with recruiting, mentoring and training of new team members.
- Work in an InnerSource way, helping to land pull requests from across the BBC.
- Deploying products to live multiple times a day.
- Collaborate effectively with other development teams to help to drive forward BBC technologies.
Are you the right candidate?
We would love to talk to you if you:
- Have a good understanding of Cloud based deployment and architectures.
- Have a good understanding of DevOps.
- Care about quality and you know what it means to write high quality code.
- Have experience with one or more of the mainstream development and deployment tool chains.
- Have experience working hands-on in a Software Engineering role in an agile environment.
- Have experience in mentoring and supporting peers, fostering best engineering practices.
- Have experience in identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues.
- Have a positive attitude, a passion for technology, and a constant desire to learn.
- Have a drive for results (or just love “getting stuff done”).
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here