We work closely with our client teams and editorial in BBC Radio, and as part of the broader Product Group, share practice and knowledge with our equivalent teams in iPlayer, News and Sport. The BBC Engineering community as a whole is a dynamic and supportive one, and there are frequent opportunities to collaborate with other teams. Our Engineers are all encouraged to do 10% time, which typically takes the form of a day every two weeks where they can work on pet projects and personal development.
We’re looking for Software Engineers who care about creating performant and accessible applications on the web, value communication and collaborative approaches to finding the right solution, and are willing and excited to learn new skills and share their knowledge with others.
Over the next 12 months you will:
- Develop exciting new features for BBC Sounds
- Build out the Radio and Music infrastructure on AWS
- Learn new technologies and techniques
- Advise product managers and project managers on the complexities of planned work, including providing time and resource estimates in the planning of projects
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of Redux, React
- Experience with AWS and CloudFormation templates
- Experience of building responsive websites with HTML and CSS and using an ideology of progressive enhancement
- An understanding of how to debug cross-browser compatibility issues
- Experience of unit testing and TDD
- Familiarity with version control systems (we use Git)
- Understanding of Continuous Integration and build systems (we use Jenkins)
- Understanding of Accessibility issues and how to address them using code/mark-up
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here