Senior Software Engineer - TV Partner Devices
TV Partner Devices is focused on getting iPlayer for TV working on partner devices from major international manufacturers.
We work closely with companies such as Amazon, Nintendo, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Sky, Virgin Media, Vestel, YouView and many more; enabling amazing experiences for our audiences on as many platforms as possible. Our team's principle concern is to assist and deliver certification of platforms for BBC iPlayer and BBC TV products.
Our tools need to be well engineered, well maintained, easy to use, easy to understand, and provide sufficient information to help diagnose and fix faults.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll be responsible for the design of software, and for implementation and operation of effective software and tools. You'll collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to understand business requirements and influence product requirements. We give our engineers 10% time to research new technologies, and encourage knowledge sharing company wide.
Are you the right candidate?
We need polyglot engineers, who have significant software engineering experience, willing to get hands on with devices to investigate, design and develop workable software solutions.
We need engineers who can look to the present and future of the industry, and investigate the viability of future platforms or emerging technologies. A successful applicant may also expect to join us in representing the BBC at various engineering engagement events, workshops and public forums.
You'll have and will demonstrate the following
- Multi-year (mid to senior) software engineering experience with a track record of delivering high value software solutions as part of an agile team
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse stakeholders effectively
- Good communication skills; you should be at ease describing technical details to varying levels of people - internal and external to the BBC
- Evidence of a logical and methodical approach to solving complex problems
- Individuals who are efficient in managing their own time when working independently in order to produce tangible results for review
- Proactive individuals who can identify and pursue relevant learning and development goals
Contract type: Full time, Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here