Senior Software Engineer - TV & Radio
BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands. The TV & Radio product teams build some of the most used products in BBC including BBC iPlayer, iPlayer Radio, Music. Our mission is to secure the Internet future of BBC.
It is an exciting time to join the team as we’ve ambitious goals to be the number one online TV and audio service in the UK. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find in the country.
As Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the design of software, and for implementation and operation of effective software and tools. Other responsibilities include:
- Lead the design and development of effective software that meets complex product and business needs
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Drive work to successful completion across the immediate team
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Ensure the teams software works in its operating environment
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in and lead as required, the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in and help improve the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at feature and component level
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary offering direction, support and documentation
- Mentor and coach more junior staff. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues. Line Management of 1-2 software engineers (if appropriate)
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
Are you the right candidate?
- Extensive experience writing and maintaining large scale robust production software in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Expertise in one or more mainstream development language/frameworks
- Expertise with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Competence in database design and use in software applications
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Expertise in test driven development and broader testing and QA concerns
- Expertise in developing for operational and non functional concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, scale, availability and resilience, security considerations)
- Extensive experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Competence in translating product requirements into technical solutions
- Demonstrable experience in using design patterns
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse stakeholders effectively
- Takes responsibility for driving work to completion across the team
- Technical Lead on at least 1 Medium/Large sized project (3 months +)
- Worked on multiple projects or codebases concurrently
- Software Engineering or computer science degree or equivalent
- Experience of mentoring and supporting less experienced members of the team
Grade 8 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.