BBC iPlayer is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands. Our mission is to secure the Internet future of BBC.
It is an exciting time to join the team as we are committed to the goal to be the number one online TV service in the UK. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find in the country.
We’re looking for passionate Software Engineers to join our fast pace cross-discipline agile team iterating on our key products. You will be a fullstack engineer tackling wide ranges of technical challenges that drive our products forward.
- Design, develop, & release applications using best practices
- Mentor more junior member of the team
- Help improve engineering process and standard
- Review the work of other team members
- Learn new technologies and adapt to change
- Promote skills and knowledge sharing
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills & Experience
- Proficient in building front-end interfaces (react.js)
- Server-side development experience (node.js)
- Highly proficient developing software using BDD/TDD techniques
- Good understanding of scalable web architecture
- Experienced in guiding/influencing others on Software Engineering practices
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Hands on experience of AWS technologies, including CloudFormation, EC2, VPC
- Experience of leading small technical projects
- Contributions to Open Source Software (e.g. active GitHub profile)
What we offer in return
This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find in the country. We provide you with a great work-life balance and a competitive work package. There is also great opportunity to grow your career within the team or wider organisation. As part of BBC Digital, you will be at the heart of the Internet first BBC. You will also have the opportunity for promotion twice a year as recognition of our fast paced industry.
Our world class Academy is here to ensure you have the training needed to advance in your career from leadership training to technical training such as AWS, cloud architecture and micro-services to name a few.
Attributes and Competencies
At BBC, we look for people with a core set of personal attributes and competencies outlined below.
- Always open to new ideas and will connect with people inside and outside the BBC
- Responsibility for your decisions and actions, ensuring you are acting in the interests of the BBC, its values and the values of public service (as appropriate).
- A can-do attitude and a determination not to allow the first hurdle to be a barrier to your ideas, work or career
- Able to get ones message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Ability to work with product owners to translate user requirements into technical specifications.
- Ability to communicate at all levels and to translate technical jargon for non-technical staff.
Planning and Organising
- Ability to meet challenging operational datelines and to communicate any difficulties as early as possible.
- Ability to think ahead to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues such as deadlines, staffing and resource requirements.
- Ability to apply analytical and structured thinking to resolve programming problems.
- Ability to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into their component parts.
- Can explore and evaluate them systematically, can identify causal relationships and construct frameworks for problem solving and/or development.
G8 (proposed band D)
Continuing / Perm
About the Company
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.