The BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands. The iPlayer & Sounds product teams build some of the most used products in BBC: our mission is to be the first place for anybody to go to watch the BBC.
We are currently looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the team.
It is an exciting time to join the team as we’ve ambitious goals to be the number one online TV and audio service in the UK. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find in the country.
We’re looking for passionate Senior Software Engineers to join a fast-paced cross-discipline agile team iterating on our key products. You will be a back-end engineer tackling a wide range of technical challenges that drive our products forward. Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Design, develop & release applications using best practices
- Mentor more junior member of the team
- Help improve engineering process and standard
- Review the work of other team members
- Learn new technologies and adapt to change
- Promote skills and knowledge sharing
The Ideal Candidate
This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software that needs to be able to handle billions of requests per week. We provide you with a great work-life balance and a competitive work package. This is also a great opportunity to grow your career within the team or wider organisation. As part of BBC Design + Engineering, you will be at the heart of the Internet-first BBC.
Our world class Academy is here to ensure you have the training needed to advance in your career from leadership training to technical training such as AWS, cloud architecture and micro-services to name a few.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Experience in building scalable REST APIs (node.js/TypeScript)
- Highly proficient developing software using TDD/BDD techniques
- Hands on experience of AWS technologies
- Proficient in using SQL/NoSQL databases and message queues.
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Experience of building cloud native scalable architecture
- Ability to work with stakeholders from Product, Architecture, UX and Delivery to assess feasibility of requirements and collaborate on designing appropriate systems
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience of leading small technical projects
- Experienced of agile delivery practices
- Experienced with DevOps
- Contributions to Open Source Software (e.g. active GitHub profile)
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here