Senior Software Engineer in Test - Interactive TV
The role of BBC TV & Radio Software Engineering is to create distinctive, world class content and services. We build and operate the BBC’s interactive applications and services on TV devices (i.e. Smart TV’s, Games consoles, IPTV streamers, PVRs etc.). Using the latest web technologies and world-class Engineering & Test practices we create compelling and increasingly personalised experiences that our audiences love.
Our department is based in Dock House at MediaCityUK in Salford, Greater Manchester where you will work with some of the UK’s most popular interactive services on televisions, shaping and implementing key functionality for the BBC’s iPlayer, Sport, News and Red button products.
Our people work in multi-discipline crews with Software Engineers, Testers, Product owners and Delivery working closely together in a respectful and collaborative environment. We encourage a culture of team empowerment and support your self-development.
We are looking for a Senior SEIT (Software Engineer in Test) to be a leader of Automation of Testing activities at a pan-product level.
Working in Test you will be collaborating with Testers and other Software Engineers in the successful delivery of high quality software for our major UK and international products i.e BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport, BBC News, TV Application Layer (TAL) and Red Button services.
The successful candidate will,
- Have a passion for Testing and automation.
- Understand where and how automation can provide sustained value an aid delivery.
- You will be ready to take on challenges, including of automating testing on devices and be able to adapt and refine your approaches to achieve successful outcomes.
- Have a proactive approach and be able collaborate and influence well, ensuring you are responsive to feedback from the team.
- Mentoring less skilled team members to encourage adoption of Test automation and support their growth.
- Working with internal/external teams, plan and execute tests using the most appropriate test approach to ensure that the software delivered is fit-for-purpose in planned timescales.
- You will be contributing to, and be advocating the design of automation frameworks and the overall test strategy.
- Ensure that high value is achieved from Test automation relative to the investment made.
- Create and Manage Test Data
- Contribute to test community across BBC Test teams.
- Conduct testing in accordance with the test strategy
- Work with developers, business analysts and architects to integrate the system components to achieve the desired end-to-end workflow within scheduled timescales
- Validation of the system as a whole to ensure it delivers the business requirements intent and benefit
- Ability and willingness to determine when to automate tests and when to adopt a manual approach to testing
- Create detailed and accurate Defect/Bug Tickets that facilitate resolution
- Contribute in troubleshooting issues and providing the necessary information to facilitate resolution
- Reports status against planned schedules
- Work within the team process and ensure it adheres to overall Test Strategy
- Champion Quality Assurance, contribute to process improvement and best practices within the organisation
- Keep abreast of developments and best practices within development, Testing and New Media
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of developing and maintaining automated tests
- Experience in shaping and implementation of automated test frameworks.
- Experience in creating automated tests within a Continuous Integration environment, preferably using Jenkins
- Experience of Page Object Model frameworks
- Practical experience source control tools e.g. Github, SVN
- Experience of working and influencing agile process across disciplines (Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, V-Model)
- Experience leading and influencing across teams to adopt / improve tools.
- Experience in developing Test Plans, Test Scripts, Defining Test Data and Reports
- Experience of Test and Issue Management tools e.g. TestRail, Quality Centre, Jira, Enterprise Tester, etc.
- Ability to write and execute both automated and manual tests (Functional, Non-Functional, Regression)
- Ability to interpret Sequence / State Transition Diagrams, Use Cases, Detailed Designs and Wireframes
- Ability to interpret and translate business and technical requirements into Tests automated or manual tests as appropriate.
- Good understanding of web technologies e.g. XML, HTML, ASP, REST, JSON, AngularJS, CSS
- Experience of using Network tools such as Wireshark, Charles, Browsermob
- Performance or security testing experience an advantage
Grade 8 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background