Senior Test Engineer – TV Certification
BBC TV Software Engineering is an integral part of delivering on our strategy for a more Digital BBC creating distinctive, world class content and services. Our teams are responsible for creating and running BBC interactive applications and services on TV based devices, we are tasked to create compelling and increasingly personalised experiences that our audiences love.
As part of the TV Software Engineering department, the BBC’s Certification Team plays a vital role in ensuring the quality of the audience experience on application's deployed across millions of IPTV devices.
We are looking for a Senior Test Engineer with a strong quality assurance, and development background; you will also have knowledge of specification testing and experience of working with embedded devices. Reporting to the Certification Manager, you will be responsible for developing the BBC certification test suite which is used by BBC TV partners such as Amazon, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony, to ensure our Partners deliver a high-quality BBC experience.
What will you be doing?
- Develop test automation frameworks and tools to support delivery of a high-quality BBC experience.
- Develop, modify and add tests to the test suite.
- Coach and mentor junior test engineers.
- Work alongside development, product, and other teams to resolve complex issues.
- Define and maintain metrics that measure the success of the certification test suite.
- Support initiatives to improve the certification process.
The Ideal Candidate
Skills & Experience
- Ability to write and execute both automated and manual tests (Functional, Non-Functional, Regression)
- Strong communication skills
- Scripting skills e.g. Perl, Bash, Python
- Experience of working with external clients including standards bodies
- Curiosity and a can-do approach to both technical and organisational issues.
- Ability to triage issues and do root cause analysis
- Continuous integration and experience of working in Agile environments
- Experience of working with embedded devices
Grade 8 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background