Senior Software Engineer - Media Services
Do you want to help #BuildTheBBC?
With 95% of the UK using the BBC every week, we’re the highest reaching media provider in the UK, driven by the strength of our Broadcast portfolio across TV and Radio.
Beyond the UK we’re building one of the world’s biggest global media brands, reaching 372m people a week worldwide across TV, Radio and online.
The File Based Delivery Team are helping re-engineer broadcast pipelines for the next generation. Using cutting-edge, cloud-based technologies and working in a dev-ops style, we help the BBC manage its play out delivery chain, ensuring our channels stay on the air, broadcasting the right programme at the right time.
You will join a highly Agile, fast-moving and motivated team of engineers who take pride and responsibility for the components they build and run in production. Most of your work will run in the cloud. You will be concerned with writing comprehensive tests for all workflows and every pull request must pass a peer review process before becoming part of the regression test suite. Our codebase is split 50:50 between Java and NodeJS
- Lead the design and development of effective software that meets complex product and business needs
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Drive work to successful completion across the immediate team
- Write appropriate tests using automated test-driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Ensure the team's software works in its operating environment
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product lifecycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in and lead as required, the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in and help improve the team's software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at feature and component level
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary offering direction, support and documentation
- Mentor and coach more junior staff. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
- You will have extensive experience of writing robust, tested and scalable Java code, and working as part of an Agile team.
- You’ll be familiar with the production pipeline, including BDD testing and CI, and will have been involved in mentoring others along the way.
- Having NodeJs, Ruby, Python and experience with AWS are also advantageous.
Grade 9 (Proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.