Senior Software Engineer
This is a chance for you to shape innovation at the heart of BBC News.
News Labs is a multi-discipline incubator, exploring scalable opportunities at the intersection of Journalism, Technology and Data.
We work closely with BBC NEWS editorial, product and BBC R&D departments. We collaborate with News organisations and academic & research institutions globally.
News Labs is the focal point for the BBC News’ innovation work, sharing its knowledge and experience where needed and enabling News to develop new ideas and products in the most efficient and effective manner.
Read more about some of the projects we have been working on our blogs:
BBC News Labs is looking for an talented, flexible and enthusiastic Senior Software Engineer with a passionate interest in all levels of the application stack to help us build beautiful, functional and exciting applications.
Come and explore the art of possible.
The successful candidate will be working in our innovation hub in W1A.
The main responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineer are to lead the design and development of effective software that meets complex product and business needs.
You will also write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage.
In addition you will carry out the following:
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation,
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle
- Participate in and lead as required, the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Improve the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at feature and component level
- Mentor and coach more junior staff.
- Learn new technologies
Are you the right candidate?
You will work closely with editorial stakeholders and other developers to initiate, specify, design and build prototypes that create great impact on BBC journalism and the wider industry.
- Take responsibility for driving projects to success
- An enthusiasm for News with a willingness to experiment and try new solutions to problems faced by editorial and technical teams
- Provide technical knowledge, insight and leadership to peers and colleagues
- Have expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design), Agile development, test driven development and broader testing and QA concerns
- Proven experience from front end through to persistence layer
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary providing direction, support and documentation
- Keen to attend industry hack events, conferences etc
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.