BBC Search and Navigation have a remit to help our audience discover the best content, that is most relevant and meaningful to them, by providing them a breadth of BBC content
Initially this role will be within the Search team work on products that power BBC products including iPlayer, Sounds and News on TVs, the web, mobile apps and voice devices. There are more than 55 million hits on our APIs each week — our team provides one of the key ways people find content on BBC Online. It’s a really exciting time to join us because we’re making big improvements that will help our audiences find the best, most relevant content we have. The team’s work is varied as we work on the BBC’s shared WebCore platform, within the Solr search engine, across the Search APIs and within the space of Relevance Engineering, using data and domain expertise to determine what is the best possible search results for our audience.
Our current priorities are quality and improving the breadth of content within the Search estate. We aim to be the best way to find BBC Content for any individual in any context, and we’re improving the relevancy of the results that we return to our audience by using the capabilities of Solr and Relevancy tuning methods to help people discover relevant and related content across the BBC Digital estate.
As a department we ship our solutions by embracing Continuous Deployment, and strive to improve our DevOps culture, technology and processes iteratively. We are a true DevOps team that has a high degree of control over our cloud infrastructure that is hosted on AWS; if we build it we accountable for shipping it! In return you can expect the full support of the department in getting your work through to a live audience—and that means multiple times a day. The team are based in Salford.
Much of our work is solving problems and we want our Senior Software Engineers to be able to help to reduce the complexity of difficult technical requirements and support the wider team in understanding and building out solutions. You will be working in a cross-functioning agile team and will be expected to be able to act with a degree of autonomy.
In this role you will:
- Design, develop and deploy high-quality solutions that will be across multiple BBC products and used by millions of users
- Contribute to driving best engineering practices such as Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery, Test-Driven Development, Behaviour Driven Development, cloud architectures, and pair/mob programming
- Work towards reducing the complexity that comes with working with a system that spans the BBC
- Assist with recruiting, mentoring and training of new team members
- Work in an InnerSource way, helping to land pull requests from across the BBC
- Deploying products to live multiple times a day
- Collaborate effectively with other development teams to help to drive forward BBC technologies
The Ideal Candidate
We would love to talk to you if you:
- Can see yourself collaborating with other teams in the BBC to best help them deliver and move the BBC forwards
- Enjoy what it means to work in an agile team; you know the importance of working with others to schedule and deliver work
- Have an interest in data and how it might be used to best model and improve our understanding of audience needs
- Frequently undertake practices to ensure code quality, including pair programming and BDD
- Are experienced in mentoring, supporting and growing peers at different levels in their careers.
- Have a good understanding of DevOps culture and associated concepts, e.g. Cloud Infrastructure (AWS), Infrastructure as Code, Continuous Delivery and Pipelines.
- Have experience with one or more of the mainstream development and deployment tool chains
- Have experience in identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues
- Have a positive attitude, a passion for technology, and a constant desire to learn.
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here