Senior Software Engineer
We are looking for an experienced software engineer with an in-depth experience in developing software for online media distribution to join the OTG Platform team in BBC Future Media. Our software powers products from iPlayer to News Online. If you want to be part the future of video delivery at the BBC and deepen your skills by solving real-world engineering problems at scale, then get in touch.
The Online Technology Group is the BBC’s engineering ‘centre of excellence’ within the Future Media division. The OTG platform engineering team provides code and tools to product teams across the BBC. Our challenge is to provide stable, scalable foundation to over 500 BBC and third-party developers. Areas we cover include analytics, frameworks and platforms that underpin all service and presentation components of the BBC online products.
- Developing and maintaining the BBC audio/video distribution infrastructure
- Developing and maintaining the dashboard for audio/video delivery live statistics and monitoring
- Contributing to the software design and architecture decisions
- Adopting the best software engineering and development practices
- Mentoring and pairing with other developers
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience working with caching technologies and in depth knowledge of Content Distribution Networks
- Excellent web backend/systems development skills with one or more static languages (e.g. Java, C, etc.)
- Experience in writing web applications with one or more scripting languages (e.g. Python, PHP, etc.)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability
- Effective team-working and communication skills.
- Varnish configuration and tuning experience
- Knowledge of HTTP based video and audio streaming protocols (HLS, HDS, etc.)
- Strong understanding of the Internet stack networking protocols and of the Internet architecture
Please see below for a full job description.