Senior Software Engineer in Test (Audience Participation)
In BBC Audience Platform our services are transforming the BBC into a data-driven organisation supporting the delivery of BBC’s personalised services such as iPlayer, Sounds, News, Sport, CBBC/ CBeebies, Weather, etc. We are at the heart of BBC’s digital future!
You will be part of BBC Audience Platform - Data Team. Audience Platform Data is responsible for collating Data from across around the BBC (that's around a billion rows of data a day!!) and presenting it in a format to our internal stakeholders that will help them to build personalised services for BBC’s customers. Data Team builds Java, python, scala apps and other tools to transform Data, so testing wouldn't be focussed just on Data but as well on the quality of the apps. All the apps are built in-house, with the latest cloud technologies.
As a Senior Software Engineer in Test your role is an important one for the team for building great quality apps. You will be supported by the Senior Software Engineers in Test and other engineers within the team, but will also have opportunities to lead a stream of work. As an agile scrum team working as squads you will have opportunities to work very closely with Developers, BA, Product Owner and other disciplines of the team. The role will also involve working towards best practices for Testing and Automation while helping the team to achieve great quality. Testing can be varied across the team from Testing on Data pipelines to working with RESTful APIs. The testing tool set is primarily Java, Serenity (and Cucumber-JVM) and java libraries for AWS SDK and REST APIs. We also use Gatling for performance testing with Scala, so there will be a great opportunity to work with and learn Performance Testing, with a custom framework.
The role will entail understanding the feature requirements and implementing automated tests as well using exploratory and innovative practices for manual testing. Your understanding of testing of APIs and software systems will hugely benefit the team to deliver the new Data solutions.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience with JAVA Programming Language and a good understanding of Object Oriented Concepts
- Experience with Automated RESTful API Testing
- Experienced in SQL
- Experience with Test Automation Frameworks, and Best practises
- Experienced in Testing Software products
- Recent experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience with a Continuous Integration Tool like Jenkins
- Experience being the Quality Advocate within the Team
- Integrating testing using Stubbing or Mocking.
- TDD or Unit Testing
- Gatling and Scala
- Experience working with AWS SDK
- An interest in Testing Data (previous experience isn’t essential)
Join us to deliver robust products at scale that in a modern AWS environment as part of a great multi-disciplinary agile team.
Contract type: Permanent - full time
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here