We are looking for an engineer or senior engineer with a good breadth of knowledge, covering system administration and networking. This is a fantastic opportunity to help design, develop and showcase your skills working in a challenging field.
You will be responsible for developing and maintaining the hardware and software infrastructure used by the developers of the BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds application, consisting of both a public and private cloud infrastructure (Virtualised DHCP / DNS / Virtual Hosting), a resilient IP network across multiple physical locations with both wireless and wired connectivity.
You will be part of an award-winning team that is responsible for the complete lifecycle from scoping through to testing and maintaining these key services across all a range of digital platforms. Services include Wimbledon, Glastonbury, Olympics, iPlayer on TV and the BBC Red Button service.
This role is primarily around Linux System Administration but integrates and works closely with our Broadcasting and IP Networking Engineering roles.
- Install, maintain and monitor Red Hat based systems running on either physical hardware or virtualised environments across multiple physical locations.
- Automate the build and configuration process of new services and be able to perform these tasks individually and with the assistance of team members
- To develop, test, release and document implementations using system administration best practices to ensure timely service delivery and ease of maintenance
- Detect failed or failing software and hardware components. Communicate possible impacts and resolve such issues.
- Regular system and security monitoring to allow for maintain the health of the estate.
- Patch management of the systems to mitigate the potential risks involved in operating internet-connected equipment. Apply BBC information security requirements.
- To review the work of other team members and to provide assistance as directed.
- To assist with the training of new team members and trainees as required.
- Development of monitoring, alerting, diagnostic and reporting tools.
- Advise and assist our teams with their System Administration requirements in the Cloud
The Ideal Candidate
- Working experience with Linux System Administration (Red Hat or Centos).
- Detailed knowledge of installing and maintaining DHCP and DNS infrastructure.
- Demonstrable technical knowledge of administering virtualisation platforms (VMware)
- Demonstrable knowledge of building platforms with a focus on automation, consistency, and resilience. (Ansible / Terraform / Puppet)
- Experience of programming with scripting languages e.g. Unix/Linux shell, Python or Ruby
- Excellent knowledge of Internet protocols, routing and technologies.
- Familiarity of working with source control systems (Git)
- A solid grounding in Cloud Infrastructure.
- An appreciation of BBC output and a passion for technology in the new media environment
- Experience of working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams with a focus on delivery in a rapidly changing environment
- Experience of any one of AWS Cloud System Administration or Cisco Networking or Digital Broadcast Playout (TV or Digital Radio),
- Knowledge of network topologies, and configuration techniques, such as VLANs
- Experience working with Agile/Scrum/XP methodologies
- Knowledge of datacentre infrastructure installations
- Knowledge and experience of procurement processes
- Experience of mentoring and supporting less experienced members of the team
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here