BBC Design and Engineering provides the foundations for broadcasting. Engineering has a long history at the BBC and today includes everything from broadcast engineering, programme management, operations and DevOps software engineering. Our challenge is to take advantage of the rapidly changing technology and media landscapes for the benefit of the public.
BBC Monitoring is funded by the licence fee and is proud to be part of the BBC World Service Group, providing our customers with 70 years of expertise and sharing the benefits of our extensive partnership network. Our mission is to provide coverage of open source international media in more than 100 languages.
We are looking for an experienced DevOps engineer with a good breadth of knowledge, covering VM infrastructure design to automated deployment of software. This is a fantastic opportunity to develop and demonstrate your DevOps engineering skills working in a cutting edge and challenging field.
You will be involved in designing and developing the products and services that form the foundation of the BBC Monitoring (and the wider BBC) technology estate. You’ll be part of a highly acclaimed self-organising, cross-functional, agile team. You will be involved in the complete lifecycle from scoping through to testing and maintaining key services across a range of platforms.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven expertise in Linux Admin, ideally CentOS.
- Experience of configuring, troubleshooting and running provisioning tools and Continuous Integration tools such as Ansible and Jenkins.
- Experience in at least one of the following scripting languages: Python, Groovy, Bash.
- Experience of working with databases. E.g. Mysql, PostgreSQL and Elasticsearch.
- Experience of working with Virtualisation Stacks such as VMware or equivalent.
- Proven experience developing, implementing and troubleshooting a secure, modern IT infrastructure in a corporate environment.
- Experience of Automated system installation (e.g. PXEboot), configuration and administration systems. (e.g Cobbler).
- Experience of AWS cloud technologies, e.g. S3, SQS, Lambda and EC2.
- Knowledge of public sector security and privacy policies.
- Good understanding of key network technologies, including TCP/IP, QoS, VLANs, MPLS, Multicast.
- Experience of using software control systems e.g. Git.
- Some experience of working with agile (Scrum/Kanban) methodologies.
- Experience of working with system monitoring tools. e.g. Nagios
Contract type: 12 month fixed term contract / attachment
Location: White City, London
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here