Senior Systems Engineer
BBC Cymru Wales’ mission is to fire a nation’s imagination. As the nation’s most trusted and valued broadcaster, we exist to help audiences discover and make sense of Wales – and to champion the best talent and the boldest ideas for national and UK audiences. And we do all this on a canvas big enough to make a difference, not just to our audiences, but to Wales itself.
Plans are now in place to relocate BBC Cymru Wales to a new purpose-built broadcast headquarters in Central Square, Cardiff in 2019. The Central Square Programme is developing an affordable, highly cost effective, flexible and fit for purpose environment for growing and sustaining creative success through the delivery of high quality, greatly valued, distinctive content across all platforms. This will be a future proofed solution that will realise benefits for Welsh and UK audiences, meeting the needs of the BBC and its partners in Wales, and complementing the long term production, property and productivity strategies across the UK.
The role will be responsible for developing and implementing a technical cutover solution which will allow BBC Wales programmes and services to transition from our existing Headquarters to Central Square.
Working alongside the Migration Manager, you will contribute to a well-planned and highly organised move to our new home, which seeks to minimise the impact of the move on our people, keeps them informed and engaged and is completed with no interruption to our audience facing services or our business.
On a daily basis you will;
- Work closely with the system architects and system specialists to develop a detailed cutover design and implementation plan
- Liaise with Major Projects Infrastructure (MPI) Project Managers to ensure cutover solutions align with MPI deliverables so they can continue to deliver broadcast technology across the BBC’s biggest projects.
- Communicate cutover solutions in a clear and coherent way and alongside the Migration Manager liaise with production departments to ensure implications of solutions are well understood
- Lead on the implementation of cutover detailed design to migrate as planned
- Support in the identification and coordination of additional technical resources required to implement cutover
- Provide oversight of technical delivery of cutover, working with the Migration Manager to monitor progress and manage risks
- Input to business continuity plans/disaster recovery for cutover
- Input technical knowledge into departmental migration packs
- Input technical knowledge to provide assurance around go/no go decisions for cutover and migration
Are you the right candidate?
As the ideal candidate for this role you will have an extensive knowledge of broadcast systems and infrastructure along with knowledge of operational workflows relating to broadcasting. You will have experience working within project teams/environment and also of leading on technical solutions. Experience of communicating technical solutions and options to a wider audience would also be essential to this role.
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer
Contract: Fixed Term Contract/Attachment until January 2020
For this role / Ar gyfer y swydd yma:
(d) Welsh language skills are not necessary / Nid yw sgiliau yn yr iaith Gymraeg yn angenrheidiol
Applications may be submitted in Welsh, and an application submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application submitted in English. / Mae modd cyflwyno ceisiadau yn Gymraeg, ac ni fydd cais a gyflwynir yn Gymraeg yn cael ei drin yn llai ffafriol na chais a gyflwynir yn Saesneg.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here