Senior Technical Architect – BBC Online (Education)
- Are you a creative technical architect, or a creative & experienced engineer keen to move into the architecture space?
- Do you want to help the BBC make incredible online learning experiences?
- Do you want to develop new groundbreaking ideas?
- Do you want to work a great team, including amazing development teams who focus on best-practice engineering?
This is a role to be the senior technical architect for the BBC’s online learning products. The ideal candidate will be passionate about both new technology opportunities, and new ways in which we can make websites, apps, and other digital services to help adults and children learn. It’s an opportunity to make a difference, through being inventive and creative, and working with amazing teams.
In this role, you’ll work both with the BBC’s Design & Engineering Education team on creating and delivering, and also with the BBC’s architecture team on shaping the whole of BBC Online. You’ll need to think big-picture on the opportunities, whilst also getting into the technical details of creating products on AWS and other platforms. You’ll help make the BBC’s biggest learning products, Bitesize and Food, even better. And you’ll play a key role in shaping what new educational experiences could be made, so that they excite and delight users.
The tech challenges you’ll face in this role are tricky. For example, as the largest British-built website in the world, the solutions you create will need to scale well. But colleagues and experts will support you at every step. And there’s great opportunity to learn and grow, whilst keeping a good work-life balance.
- Alongside the architecture and product teams, develop the technology vision and strategy for your area, maintaining an awareness of the underlying business and technical strategic drivers and challenges faced by the BBC.
- Develop plans, designs and drawings that take a vision from idea to reality, incorporating the overall vision you will deliver adaptable, scalable solutions for the area of business that you support.
- Understand the technology landscape within the area that you support, then identify gaps and potential fragilities and support the development of appropriate solutions. This will involve working with both internal teams external suppliers.
- Recognise the opportunities presented in the area that you support and take the initiative in solving complex technical problems and identifying and pursuing, with support, appropriate strategies that deliver business benefit.
- Create, design and develop solutions, and coordinate efforts with engineering and product management teams, working within the area that you support.
- Participate in the incubation of emerging technologies, architectures and approaches in order to test whether they will enable the BBC to deliver its objectives and seize opportunities in a timely manner. Assist with solving business challenges through innovation, striving for improved predictability, performance, efficiency, effectiveness and elasticity
- Be able to represent the team in planning and governance meetings within your area(s) of work.
Are you the right candidate?
- If you’re the ideal candidate, you’ll have experience being a software architect, either officially in a role, or as part of an engineering or similar role.
- You’ll be experienced in cloud technologies, such as AWS. And you’ll know at least the fundamentals of Internet networking, databases, API design, microservices, security, and other standard technologies in a modern online SOA.
- Experience in machine learning, voice, or data science is a bonus.
- You’ll be great at working across multiple teams and with many stakeholders. This role does not involve line management, but a key element of the role is to work with and help more junior members of the team, as a technical expert.
- You’ll be a good communicator. This role involves a lot of collaboration with both technical and non-technical teams. You’ll need to work closely with others on ideas and solutions, and on resolving technical challenges.
- Overall, you’ll be passionate about working as a team on new technologies and opportunities, especially within the education space.
Grade 9 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.