Senior Technical project Manager
BBC Design and Engineering are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Technical Project Manager to help deliver a portfolio of projects across our range of Knowledge and Learning products.
We require a Senior Project Manager on a continuing basis, to work alongside the Delivery Manager to deliver ongoing and new projects as well as contributing to and helping to continually improve our delivery processes.
The key challenge is delivering quality and high levels of scope to the Product Roadmap. Challenging but massively rewarding. We are looking for an experienced, Senior PM who understands technology and can balance the immediate needs of an Agile delivery process with the wider project remit and longer term planning; someone who has buckets of experience working alongside Product and shepherding stakeholders. You will also manage the delivery of internal teams of Developers, Testers, UX and BAs.
- To lead and co-ordinate the scoping, technical requirements gathering, estimating and planning for single or multiple projects or work streams.
- Support the Delivery Manager in establishing governance and organisation around the implementation and uptake editorially to run the service.
- Develop key relationships with internal teams and external suppliers to deliver a multi team solution where you will be required to influence roadmaps more often than have direct control of priorities.
- Manage projects in a highly technical environment.
- To anticipate, manage and resolve issues, risks, dependencies and impediments that may impact on the delivery of your projects.
- To manage the technical implementation of projects allowing risks and dependencies to be identified, understood and addressed.
- To ensure that project requirements are captured, prioritised and delivered by the Project team.
- Identify and effectively communicate any resourcing requirements required to successfully deliver the Product Roadmap
- To act as a first point of contact for all problems, obstacles and opportunities on a project. Issues could include supplier dependencies, infrastructure and operational capability.
- To ensure all development work is fully tested to meet BBC technical Standards & Guidelines.
- To ensure that project progress is reported in an accurate and timely manner
- To build and develop good working relationships with key stakeholders both inside and outside of the BBC and manage the expectations of these stakeholders.
- To ensure that all projects and products are delivered with quality as a priority and that appropriate levels of testing and technical governance is carried out in order to meet the BBC Technical standards & guidelines.
- To support the Product Manager in delivering their Product aspirations in a timely and cost effective manner.
- To ensure all work is documented as appropriate and such information and insight is easily accessible to all members of BBC Digital.
- To keep abreast of developments in web, mobile and other interactive technologies.
- To be aware of the full extent of any financial authority vested in the post and to ensure that it is exercised in accordance with agreed arrangements
- To manage and motivate project teams, and to support collaborative working.
- To contribute to the continual improvement of delivery processes.
- To support and mentor the team of project managers.
The Ideal Candidate
- Highly proficient in project management and running projects through the entire lifecycle, using a structured agile methodology.
- Extensive experience of fixed date delivery within an agile methodology (Scrum, Kanban).
- Extensive experience in multiplatform technologies and delivery of technology based projects.
- Prince 2 or other project management methodology experience, with lots of moving parts.
- Experience (as project manager or technical project manager) of managing projects and service propositions across the whole lifecycle within a technically complex and uncertain environment.
- A clear understanding of agile development processes
- Experience and appreciation of the challenges involved in using Continuous Delivery principles and Cloud infrastructure is essential.
- Experience of ensuring quality of software projects by working with software testing teams and managing software defect resolution.
- Experience with managing the operational issues around large, high-visibility, high-volume applications and coordinating resolution of operational issues with an operational support team.
- Experience of ensuring requirements are translated into technical briefs for developers, and where applicable experience of doing this yourself.
- Experience with an extensive range of delivery management tools including selection of the most appropriate and sharing knowledge with others.
- A strong understanding of BBC output and the potential for the BBC's interactive services.
- Experience of managing (such as day to day allocation of work and motivating the team) multidisciplinary teams to deliver projects.
- Proficient with Microsoft Project, Jira or other forms of project managing reporting tools.
- Experience with authoring and understanding technical documentation
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.