Senior Test Engineer - BBC News App
The BBC News App team are looking for an experienced senior mobile app tester to assist in the delivery of exciting new features for our UK and global audiences. Joining this team is a unique opportunity to work with us on a product that is globally recognisable, has a very high public profile and enjoys levels of reach and engagement to millions that other apps can only dream about. Currently our News app is available for UK and international English speaking audiences, as well as Arabic, Hindi, Russian, Spanish and Welsh language users, with more international variants in the works.
We are seeking an individual who has a thorough understanding of testing native apps on iOS and Android platforms. We encourage new ideas and are not afraid to try something out - if we fail; we learn fast, try again and move forward. You will collaborate on implementing automated test frameworks and the appropriate test strategy to effectively deliver value to our users. Furthermore, you should have the ability to engage with developers in order to ensure that quality is at the forefront of everything we do. Our approach and team culture is important to us, and we want new members to share this ethos.
We use an agile process and aren’t afraid to adapt and change to fit what works best for us. We encourage innovation in our approach to problem solving - whether that is the use of a new technology to create a bespoke test framework or introducing a pragmatic way of working that improves efficiency. We are seeking an individual who is confident to speak out and take the lead rather than waiting for direction. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with test engineers across the BBC and tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience of an organisation serving a global audience.
Learning is an important part of the role, and as a team member you’ll have access to BBC Academy training programmes, the opportunity to attend technology conferences, and other resources which will help you to progress as a tester.
- Collaborate in developing an automation test framework for mobile apps using tools including Espresso and XCUITest.
- Pairing with developers to ensure we have a robust and well written suite of automated UI checks.
- Acting as part of a cross-functional sprint team, performing activities including manual ticket verification and exploratory testing.
- Perform ‘test coaching’ to the rest of the team. Taking the lead on advocating quality in everything we do.
- Taking ownership of the test approach and providing valuable information to the product team in order for them to make informed product decisions.
- Contributing to discussions on test process and procedural improvements.
Are you the right candidate?
Essential Skill List
- Ability to produce quality, reusable and maintainable automated checks.
- A forward thinking tester who can actively contribute fresh ideas to the way we approach testing in the team.
- Ability to pair with developers to implement automated checks.
- Understanding of mobile test frameworks such as XCUITest and Espresso.
- Working knowledge of a Continuous Integration system.
- An understanding of tools such as Charles, Fiddler or Wiremock.
- An understanding of installation and distribution tools such as TestFlight, ADB and HockeyApp.
- Ability to lead the test approach at different scales i.e. for a project, team or feature.
Desirable Skill List
- Experience of native languages such as Swift or Kotlin.
- Some test leadership experience
- An understanding of componentised app architecture.
- Familiarity with a build, measure, learn approach.
- Engaged in the wider mobile application development community.
- Healthy interest in upcoming techniques and technology and an ability to describe to us something you're passionate about.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here