Senior QA Engineer - Partner Certification
We are looking for a Senior Test Engineer with a strong quality assurance, and development background.
You will take a lead role in developing the BBC certification test suite which is used by BBC TV partners such as Amazon, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony, to ensure our Partners deliver a high-quality BBC experience.
BBC TV&Radio Software Engineering is an integral part of delivering on our strategy for a more Digital BBC creating distinctive, world class content and services. Our teams are responsible for creating and running BBC interactive applications and services on TV based devices, we are tasked to create compelling and increasingly personalised experiences that our audiences love.
A key part of the TV&Radio Software Engineering department, the role of BBC’s Certification Team is to ensure the quality of the audience experience on application's deployed across millions of TV devices including partners such as Amazon, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.
What will you be doing?
- Develop test frameworks and tools to support delivery of a high-quality BBC experience.
- Be a champion for quality and support the development of the certification program
- Coach and mentor junior test engineers.
- Communicate with partners and guide them through our certification program.
- Execute tests and evaluate results
- Determine probable root cause of test failure
- File detailed bug reports.
- Work alongside development, product, and other teams to resolve complex issues.
Are you the right candidate?
What you need to be:
- Passionate about product quality.
- Brilliant in your delivery of technical solutions.
- Pragmatic about what is best both technically and for the business.
- Knowledgeable in consumer streaming media applications.
- Clear, professional and diplomatic in communication.
- Efficient when working independently.
- Curious with a can-do approach to both technical and organisational issues.
What we're looking for:
- Continuous integration experience within Agile environments
- Demonstrable experience in software development quality assurance.
- Device testing experience.
- Working knowledge in one or more scripting languages such as Perl, Bash or Python.
- Ability to write and execute both automated and manual tests (Functional, Non-Functional, Regression)
- Ability to triage issues and do root cause analysis
An added bonus if you have:
- Experience in direct interaction with partners or clients, including standards bodies.
- Industry experience working on IPTV and embedded devices.
- Experience with video streaming technology.
- Ability and strong desire to operate in a highly cross-functional environment where you can leverage multiple teams to help our partners be successful.
Grade 8 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how weo it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.