Senior Tester (Education)
In BBC Education you’ll help change the lives of millions of people by delivering world-class learning experiences via our Bitesize and Food products. We deliver amazing online products and apps that inform, educate, entertain and inspire. This also includes the BBC Three and BBC TV/Radio schedule websites.
Our vision is to unlock learning potential in everything the BBC does and make learning feel effortless, through connected services built around world-class BBC content and by joining our team you will be given the opportunity to make a real difference to the BBC's online mission.
Our agile teams are made up of software engineers, testers, user experience designers, design researchers, product owners, business analysts and project managers, all striving to create extraordinary experiences for our audiences.
Learning, developing and sparking curiosity is part our culture, so you will be joining a team who really care about you, the development of your technical skills, your career aspirations and your contribution to our great team culture.
How we work
In BBC Education we build our products following Continuous Delivery practices on AWS with a strong focus on Node.JS. Builds run with fully automated build pipelines - using Jenkins - deploying to live multiple times a day.
We perform automated (Cypress, Backstop.js) and manual testing to ensure that our fully responsive web solutions and associated back-end services deliver an excellent experience for our audience across the wide range of devices and browsers they use.
Testers are fully integrated in our agile development teams and processes, and are involved from planning and initiation through to live deployment. The testers role is to understand and influence early on in order to prevent bugs and to help ensure that we consistently deliver quality software.
We excel at collaboration and often we work closely with other test teams in the BBC - and external companies - to push our capabilities further.
As a Senior Tester you will be expected to work across multiple product workstreams, helping to ensure that we develop software to a high standard with an emphasis on quality. You will promote a consistent automated and manual testing process across different product streams, and support the Test Team Lead in identifying and delivering tool and process improvements.
You will have a strong background in software testing and good knowledge of web testing from both automated and manual testing perspectives.
You will love learning new technologies and are able to evaluate them and apply these to a variety of projects.
You’ll have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. You’ll promote your skills, share your knowledge and contribute to the evolution of best practices throughout the department and the BBC.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- An enthusiasm for Education and Learning for all levels
- A very good knowledge of software testing best practices
- A desire and ability to learn quickly, keep up to date with the latest testing tools and techniques and propose and lead process improvement initiatives
- Excellent communication and influencing skills with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Great testing skills and experience of testing cloud hosted web applications and associated backend services
- Hands-on experience of different web automation testing tools and frameworks (preferrably JS based)
- A good understanding of when and how to use test automation as part of the overall test approach
- Experience of working in a highly collaborative, Agile development team
- Ability to lead testing activities across multiple product areas
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here