We’re looking for a talented individual to join the Digital Distribution Department as a Senior Tester (Load Testing). We are a London-based, high-profile department in the Technology division of the BBC.
This role will work with other client and editorial teams, in the wider BBC, load testing BBC IP based products for scale and user experience to ensure BBC’s audiences’, the General Public of UK, experience of BBC’s online systems are not compromised.
BBC’s IP based products are built following Continuous Delivery practices on multiple platforms: on-premise, AWS and hybrid. The Load Testing team performs automated and manual testing to ensure that our fully responsive web solutions and associated back-end services and infrastructure on multiple platforms deliver an excellent experience for our audience across a wide range of devices and browsers.
We excel at collaboration and often work closely with other test teams in the BBC and external companies to push our capabilities further.
The Senior Tester’s role is to understand, influence and help ensure that BBC consistently delivers quality scalable software and systems. The Senior Tester is required to work across multiple product development teams and core Operational teams to champion and drive performance testing best practice around the business with a view to improving quality and robustness of output across all our audience facing platforms. The post holder is responsible for ensuring all services and applications are adequately load-tested and suitable for launch as well as identify and deliver tool and process improvements.
The Senior Tester is responsible for QA of new product releases, focusing on load testing, and overseeing best practice in defect management and the implementation of rigorous testing procedures covering the full product lifecycle. To be able to produce and maintain automated non-functional test scripts. To work closely with and provide consultancy to the various development teams around the business and Operations to ensure that only fully tested releases are deployed to live. You will:
- Provide a robust service for load testing products deploying onto BBC platforms. Utilise this service to validate all expected usage and volumetric estimates for the product.
- Champion, promote your skills, share your knowledge and nurture best practice process and ensure that test principles and processes are established and adhered to. Encourage teams to use them by demonstrating best practice as well as training and information dissemination to other stakeholders.
- Analyse, design, develop and execute test plans and user journeys based on customers’ specifications and test cases and scripts to meet product testing objectives.
- Provide support and leadership where necessary to promote best practice testing principles.
- Through consultancy, analyse changes and new features to products based on functional and design specifications, recommending appropriate test methods.
- Provide recommendations for system and regression test plans and time estimates based on requirements specifications.
- Keep current with new technology in computer software automated test tools and related areas.
- Participate in defining and managing quality assurance processes and procedures, particularly with regards to performance testing.
- Provide upwards reporting as necessary and ensure that all test results and statistics are stored in an easily accessible fashion for each project.
- Quickly acquire new testing and technical skills and be able to work with new technologies as they come along.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate
- Expert knowledge in load testing principles.
- An extremely good technical understanding of working within a connected and distributed environment model of multiple applications, web application
architectures, internet protocols, back-end/service-layer implementations and the challenges and constraints around these environments.
- Experience of estimating testing tasks, hands-on experience of mapping live volumetrics/requirements to test objectives, expertise in test scripting, execution and ability to discuss results with product teams for any further performance bottleneck identification.
- Exposure to several different open source and commercial load testing and monitoring tools - Gatling and Frontline would be a specific advantage, jMeter and other open-source tools would be useful as will various back-end server monitoring tools.
- Broad technical background, preferably with knowledge of programming / software development lifecycle / DevOps – CI/CD, Jira/ Github, QA/Release Management, Scala, Java, Unix/ Linux (eg able to read and search logs, resource utilisation, monitoring etc), Shall/bash scripting.
- Proven experience in API load testing.
- Experience in working with AWS or other cloud providers and running load tests from cloud infra with necessary monitoring.
- Experience of setting up end to end load testing infrastructure with open source and commercial tools including deploying / configuring tools on AWS cloud infra with required security measures.
- Working with InfluxDB and Grafana will be useful.
- Ability to explore and work on new tools upon requirement.
- Strong authoritative technical and operational judgment, able to operate as a sole performance test consultant across multiple project teams
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, specifically dealing with staff at all levels within you own and other parts of the organisation, and with external contacts in both a technical and non-technical context
- An understanding of how Agile teams operate.
- Able to do code review for product teams and guide accordingly.
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract/Attachment - 12 months
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here