Senior Tester - Media Services
Do you want to help #BuildTheBBC?
With 95% of the UK using the BBC every week, we’re the highest reaching media provider in the UK, driven by the strength of our Broadcast portfolio across TV and Radio. Beyond the UK we’re building one of the world’s biggest global media brands, reaching 372m people a week worldwide across TV, Radio and online.
Using cutting-edge, cloud-based technologies and working within a DevOps culture, Media Services is the team responsible for publishing all of the BBC's online audio and video content, powering iPlayer, iPlayer Radio, News and Sport. We handle live content, “catch-up”, and podcasts and support over 1000 different devices, including PCs, phones, tablets, games consoles, and smart TVs. The iPlayer and iPlayer Radio apps are installed on over 30 million phones and tablets, and we handle 13 million plays per day. Every day we ingest and publish over 1000 hours of catchup content, and publish 3-4TB of new files
You will join a highly agile, fast-moving and motivated team of engineers who take pride and responsibility for the components they build, test and run in production.
You will be assisting the Media Services team to write the best quality software and ensure that everything works end-to-end.
You will aid the test team and will actively contribute to the culture and operation of the Media Services engineering team. You will be working with multiple people from across the BBC and the wider broadcast industry to change the way media is delivered in the UK.
Are you the right candidate?
- Ability to solve problems in a technical environment and to communicate technical concepts simply and plainly
- Knowledge of software and hardware configurations for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Working knowledge of Git
- An interest in media playback technologies
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organisation, and do so in a proactive fashion, using diplomacy where required
- Experience of Ruby (Capybara is a plus) and Cucumber
- Familiarity with some or all of
○ AWS EC2
- Experience in interacting with XML and JSON APIs.
- An overview understanding of audio and video media lifecycle.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, White City (W12)
Number of roles: 3 available
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.